Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:30 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
USB Port/Driver Problems {moved by photolady}

I'm having some really frustating problems with USB ports and drivers on my computer lately...

I run Windows Vista Permium 32.
I have 7 USB Ports: 2 on the board, 3 on an expansion slot that plugs into the board, and 2 on my case which plugs into the board. The only ones that work are the set that plug into the case. I have switched around the plugs on the board and found whichever is plugged into the USB2 plugin on the board will work...But no other ones.

If I plug a device into the other ones, it powers up but does not work. For instance, if I plug my opitcal mouse into it, it lights up but the cursor does not move. My USB flash memory lights up but doesn't come up. My Bluetooth dongle light comes on but drivers don't load. Additionally, whenever I plug a device into any USB Port, a driver box comes up and says I need to find the drivers. If I install proper USB drivers, even ones that have previously worked fine on Vista, it doesn't do anything. Directing Vista to look in the drivers folder into which they were installed, it doesn't find them. It also won't find them on the CD if it comes with them, and using the driver installation program that comes with some things doesn't work.

The only devices that work are ones that autoload drivers, such as my Bluetooth dongle, or data cables, or flash memory, and they only work on the 2 usb ports on the case, so I have to constantly switch.

Looking in my device manager, theres a bunch of stuff under USB, as shown here:

Is this a problem? Is there anything else I need to tell you to help? I've always just taken USB for granted, so I've no idea what to do to fix it...I asked my IT guy at our school, and he said to look at the device manager for old unplugged USB devices, but there wasn't any there....

OK, well, if anyone could help, that would be great! Thanks.

Last edited by tech_9; April 4th, 2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

What motherboard do you have?
Try this if you haven't yet. Remove all those devices under Universal Serial Bus controllers, uninstall each one, then reboot/restart the computer, Vista should reinstall them and the drivers.
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:26 AM

It's some low budget Gigabyte. I will try that. Do I want to also turn off USB in the BIOS For one boot up before allowing them to be resinstalled? I read that in another post.
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

I've never seen a low budget Gigabtye board and those are what I build all my personal computers with. We need the model number, so go download Everest in the link and run a summary, then post that in here or just the name of the motherboard, which is located under the heading "Motherboard" on the left side, and click the + sign, highlight the name Motherboard again and in the right hand pane will be the model number.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/downloa...t-home-edition

You really don't need to disable the USB in the BIOS. I saw that post also but have never seen it posted anywhere else for this task.
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:58 AM

GA-8I848P775-G (Rev 1.0)
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1921

Okay, I did what you suggested, here's where we're at at this point:

That unkown device is my mouse, even though its also trying to find drivers for the optical mouse. It searched for the USB drivers online and on the computer, nothing worked. Also, the ports left at this point are no longer USB 2.0

Last edited by tech_9; April 4th, 2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:45 AM

There are no USB or USB 2.0 drivers available for this motherboard from Gigabyte's support, saying simply to download SP2 for XP. There is no mention whatsoever of Vista, so I'm just assuming they quti supporting this board.

And...Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a low budget board. I went through 3 during the warrantly period...This one so far has been the best luck I've had with one so far, given that this only problems I've had is this and the fact that only 2 of the 3 ram slots work...
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

Gigabyte doesn't make low budget boards pure and simple. It may have cost less but it's still not low budget. Low budget motherboards are ECS, FoxConn, PCChips, Jetway, and AsRock (Asus's low budget board). The first four I would not even buy.

Are you saying Gigabyte does not have any vista drivers for this board?

Is the Vista an upgrade disk?
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

Okay, now you need to go to Vista's update site and update the drivers. See the link below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...901033.mspx#EW

One thing I will say though, is never install an operating system if you can't get drivers for your motherboard or other equipment in that operating system.
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Well I never had to install them for XP, Everything worked right away...And this stuff ALL WORKED with Vista, which is a system builder's version, not an upgrade. It recently quit working.

It already tried to do the update driver thing, as I said before. It didn't work.
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

Your xp cd probably had SP1 or SP2 incorporated into the cd and that's why it worked right off.

I don't use vista except on occasion because all my computer customers are still using XP. So, we're going over to Vista's Forum and maybe someone over there can help you out.
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

Make sure that you are logged in as Administrator and doubleclick on each USB device. Click on the Driver tab. Is the Roll Back Driver button available? If so, click on it and reboot when you have finished.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:32 AM

There is not that option on any of them.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

I think we need some clarification.

Quote:
And this stuff ALL WORKED with Vista, which is a system builder's version
And your OEM version of Vista would have been preinstalled on this computer so it must still be under warantee. Why not take it in to whoever you purchased it from and let them take a look at it. Hardware issues should be covered.
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:14 AM

I bought Vista off newegg. My computer was built here at home a year ago or so, I originally ran XP until early February. At that point, everything worked fine. This issue came up recently, within the last few weeks. What is the legality of installing Vista again on the same computer? Am I allowed to do that? I've got a 20gb disk which I could install Vista on to see if I can replicate the problems in order to see if its a hardware or software issue...

Last edited by tech_9; April 5th, 2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ask for your money back. Here is the deal (and it applies to Vista too):

Quote:
It is now very simple and straightforward: an OEM license must be sold "only with a fully assembled computer system." Loophole closed.
See here.

I dont see Newegg on the Authorized Microsoft OEM Distributors list either.
Closed Topic