Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Buying New Computer and Need Advice

I am buying a new home computer and would like advice on what the specs should be. I used to be fairly up on this stuff, but now it just spins around my head, and confuses me. I feel so old!!

I want a laptop, but don't plan on carrying it around much.
It'll have Vista (obviously), but I'm not sure which version to use.
I need Word and Excel. Outlook and Powerpoint would be nice, but not crucial.
I have dial up internet and no network. I don't think that will change anytime soon, but one never knows.
I don't play computer games (well, my kids run Reader Rabbit, but that's about it).
I don't edit home movies. I do upload and store digital pics, but I don't do anything fancy with them. I do upload and store some music, but again I don't do anything fancy with them (I make occasional CD mixes -- I don't even have an Ipod or MP3 player! Told you I feel old!)

So, what sort of processer should I get (I really don't understand the differences between the processors)?
How much memory?
How much hard drive?
Which Vista and Office?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any advice you have for me. I just don't want to spend money on a computer only to be frustrated with it in a year. I can deal with being frustrated with it in 5 years.

Mary
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hmm well onboard graphics will do fine.
You want at least 1GB of RAM.
Intel Duo/Duo 2 or AMD Turion X2
Hard drive - depends on your usage but probably 60GB or more
Vista Home Premium - avoid Basic
Office 2007 - 2003 works fine on Vista but it will soon become obsolete

Just about any new laptop will come with a DVDRW drive that will brun DVDs and CDs. Check that any alptop you are looking to buy has a dial up (56k) modem as some don't have that feature these days.

Most laptops have 54G wireless networking capabilities - handy.
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks for your help! I spent the weekend buying a new computer. I opted for a Toshiba laptop with a Core 2 processor and 2 GB of memory. That should last me for a while. Now I'm trying to get everything set up (not particularly easy since nothing is compatible with Vista!)

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate your advice.

Mary
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:40 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Good system, good choice. won't have to upgrade for quite awhile.