Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflmg View Post
If you go to this site, microsoft will tell you which vista would best fit your computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
Thanks. I went to this link and Microsoft are telling me I can have Vista Home Premium. I went to the Dell website to build my own computer with the same specifications as my computer and chosing Vista Home Premium and it told me my operating system was incompatabile.!
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM

O/S: MacOS
The dell system doesn't work. When I got my laptop I had to phone them to order it.
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeking View Post
The dell system doesn't work. When I got my laptop I had to phone them to order it.

Why have it, if it doesen't work?
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:30 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra1984 View Post
Thanks. I went to this link and Microsoft are telling me I can have Vista Home Premium. I went to the Dell website to build my own computer with the same specifications as my computer and chosing Vista Home Premium and it told me my operating system was incompatabile.!

I never have liked dell, their tech support among other things lacks a lot. I like how the hp tech support works, a lot better.
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflmg View Post
I never have liked dell, their tech support among other things lacks a lot. I like how the hp tech support works, a lot better.

I only bought Dell as my husband decided they were good. I have never rated them myself and I am begining to wish I had never bought it. I have been reading lots of negative things on Dells own forums.
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra1984 View Post
I only bought Dell as my husband decided they were good. I have never rated them myself and I am begining to wish I had never bought it. I have been reading lots of negative things on Dells own forums.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of other dell owners, say they don't like having dells either, even my dad says that he never is going to buy a dell computer again, even said one to one of the dell tech people.
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:05 PM

The software works, its the ordering system thats dead.
It says that it is incompatible what ever you pick.

My dell laptop has been great so far.
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:52 PM

Just wait until you use dell tech, support. Anyone I've talked to, that's what made them decided they no longer liked dell.
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:59 PM

I hate tech support in general. Waste of time.

The talktalk tech support is appalling. When the contract ends were straight away from them
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:19 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I would remind you that if you upgrade from XP to VISTA, and not a clean install, you will not be able to revert to XP and you will loose the CD Key for XP during the upgrade:

Posted by our Newseditor:

If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation

From Vistas EULA found here (PDF) :

13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:19 AM

Not with hp.
Hp has both phone support and then for free you get 1-hour response e-mail and chat help. I have found it very useful and I have never had a problem with their computer. Unlike the dell desktop we have, which has a number of problems.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:19 AM

Try walking into a job, where the computer account manager signed a 5 year contract with del. Yeah = it sucks. It's ok, I am slowly undermining the machine, one at a time. Soon pinky, HP will take over the world. HA HA HA
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser32 View Post
Try walking into a job, where the computer account manager signed a 5 year contract with del. Yeah = it sucks. It's ok, I am slowly undermining the machine, one at a time. Soon pinky, HP will take over the world. HA HA HA
its fun watching the cycle of computer purchasing. In the company I work for, the one plant went from ibm to gateway to hp to dell and now is switching back to ibm. They purchases about 400+ desktops every two year just for the one plant. I am glad they are getting away from dell.

As far as problems, we never had any major problems with ibm and hp but with gateway, we had to replace about a third of the monitors and with dell, about a third of the motherboards and about 20 percent of the power supplies.
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I would remind you that if you upgrade from XP to VISTA, and not a clean install, you will not be able to revert to XP and you will loose the CD Key for XP during the upgrade:

Posted by our Newseditor:

If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation

From Vistas EULA found here (PDF) :

13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from
What is a CD Key? So if I understand correctly if I send for the Vista upgrade I have to use it. I cannot keep it and wait and install it at a later date? Am I right?
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM

A CD Key is a code you that will be provided to you when you purchase or recieve software that is copywrited. It allows you to use the software and validates your copy as yours.
Your not obligated to use it, but then why order it if your not. You can install it whenever you want.