Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Clarification

First, an explanation of my problem:

I currently use the security programs available through Roadrunner. This consists of eZ Armor, Antivirus, and Pest Patrol. I try to be very careful when using the internet and never had any issues until last month. I noticed the antivirus was detecting the win32/darksma!generic trojan every time I started my computer.

I googled the internet to find a forum to assist with my problem. I came across this forum and started searching. Alot of great advice. I followed some tips and downloaded some additional programs to help solve my problem: Spybot, reg cleaner, ccleaner, AVG antivirus, Microsoft Defender.

I did not run these all at once, over the past several weeks I tried different combinations. It was not until I used the AVG antivirus a few days ago, the virus detection at startup has stopped.

At this moment I still have the ez Armor, antivirus, and Pest Patrol active. Windows Defender is installed and real-time is activated, AVG antivirus is installed and active.

What I need clarification on is this, I feel I have simultaneous anti-virus and spyware programs running at the same time. Is this a problem? I searched on this topic, but never deduced a clear answer. I ran Pest Patrol last night and it found Pcast. Was this not detected due to the duplication of the programs? My pc does not show any conflicts, but is there something behind the scenes?

I apologize for my lengthy post, but I need peace of mind. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
The Grinch
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:57 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Welcome to CTH grinchman007

Quote:
I feel I have simultaneous anti-virus and spyware programs running at the same time. Is this a problem?
Yes, especially more than one antivirus program. Not only is this a drain on resources but it can cause conflicts too.

The same might also be true of more than one antispyware program loading at startup. It's fine to have more antispyware utility installed but only one should be configured to run at startup.