Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:11 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Prob obtaining Network Printer Properties [moved by zip]

Hi,

I've been having this issue for some time now and just about ready to give up.

I have a Notebook with Windows XP/Home on a home wireless network. I have a printer directly attached to another computer which is running Vista premium. The problem I am having is that I cannot open all the printer properties on my notebook. It returns the following error:

When I hit ok it eventually brings up basic properties. I tried another notebook that also runs Windows XP and it displays the properties correctly. I tried deleting the printer and the driver that it downloaded from the computer that has the printer attached and re installing. The printer is functional, I can print but I cannot display all the properties.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Hi, Would the "spool" service have anything to do in preventing me from receiving this error? I afraid to try and shut it down/restart or do anything with the spool system files. Like I said I can print but I'm unable to change many of the printing properties.

Many thanks for your help
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
This sounds like a driver issue. I'm going to move this over to the Vista forum and see if someone has some ideas.
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:47 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If it got drivers "from the computer that has the printer attached " and that computer is running XP, it probably doesn't have the right drivers. XP drivers seldom work with Vista.

Go to the printer manufacturer's web site and look for Vista drivers for the printer. Install those (on the Vista computer only) and see if things improve.

Keep in mind that if it's an older printer (3 or more years), there may not be any Vista drivers. The hardware producers aren't writing a whole lot of Vista drivers for their older products.
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the reply Miz, really appreciate it.
The computer that has the printer on it is running Vista. My laptop in which the problem lies is running XP. I in the meantime tried another laptop with XP and it displays the Hp1200 printer properties with no errors. I installed it the same way, downloading the driver from the Vista machine as I added the network printer.
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Gran Paradiso,

Is it possible that the 2nd laptop had the HP drivers installed? Do you have the HP disks for the printer? I would try deinstalling the printer, installing the HP drivers on the laptop and then install the network printer.

Another option is to try HPs Universal print driver (see here)
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the reply Z1p I will try this process. I do wonder when I download a print driver with no printer attached to the laptop which folder do I put it in?

Last edited by Gran Paradiso; January 22nd, 2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:00 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The downloaded file will probably be an .exe file. Just download it to whatever folder you usually download to. When it's finished downloading, just open it as you would any .exe file and it will take the driver installation from there.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:15 AM

Miz thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I was able to install the driver and when that same error came up I hit ok then I was asked if I wanted to install the driver for the printer since one isn't installed. I went through the installation with no problems and when complete I checked the properties and the same error popped up. I see when I install the network printed it obtains driver info from the computer hosting the printer.
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:36 AM

Well I've come to the conclusion it must be this particular notebook that is giving me the problem. I hooked up another Win XP machine to my network and it added the printer with all the properties. I have all the software for this notebook so I think next week I will re install the OS and start over.