Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:37 AM

converting recorded tv tuner programs to dvd

I have Gateway PC GM5442 Vista with a tv tuner. I had a couple of questions about my recorded tv programs and wonder if anyone could help me. Not sure if I should post these separate.

1.) How would I covert/condense a 3.5 hrs football game to DVD? There is a Windows DVD Maker , also Windows Media center gives you the option to put on a dvd ( although its too big )

2.) I open C:Users/Recordedtvshows and view my recorded shows, then open an external drive (J) , when I try to move them from C to J , I always get a "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and then a "Windows Explorer has started " message and it closes out both my C and J windows. I have tried over and over again with the same results. Have talked with Gateway through "Chat with a Tech" and was told to reinstall my restore from factory cd ( had to buy it, from Gateway, after service center erased my Recovery Center that came on pc) and I still have same results.

I do get a message that the says what the error is and when I go to it on microsoft , it downloads and then says " Not compatible with Vista" . Not sure how to solve this 3 month problems, Any suggestions ?

Charlene
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM

This is the error I get when downloading from Microsoft

Performance and Reliability Pack (KB938979)
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi dinkydo53545. Are you saying that you cannot install an update for Vista and the error message is "Not compatible with Vista"?

If so, I think you will need lodge a free Windows Update support incident request here.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Updates

when Win Explorer closes my windows, I get a message to download a update on microsoft website, when I download and run it, I get the message that Standalone Installer is installing, then a message saying "The Update does not appy to your system.

There are about 20 updates in my Windows update report that show they have failed to update. When I try them I get the same message about updates not applying to my system. I tried downloading Standalone Installer package new update , save it to my desktop and then ran it and got a message that the it did not apply to my system.

Its like a like a circle, I cant solve move my music or tv programs from one place to another without certain updates, and they say they dont apply.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it . I will go to the link that you gave me.

Charlene
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome Charlene. We would appreciate it if you let us know what the MS Techs say about this issue and how it was resolved.
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:39 AM

These are the steps that the Microsoft tech told me to do for the Windows Update.

In this case, let us troubleshoot the Windows Update fails issue first.

This issue can be caused by the following factors:

1. The Windows Update service has been stopped.
2. Corrupted Windows Update Temporary folder.

In order to narrow down the cause of this issue and resolve it, please refer to the following steps. After finishing each step, please check the result again on the Windows Update website.

NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing Windows Update later. Please understand that we are disabling these programs only for the purpose of troubleshooting and we can re-enable these programs after we finish troubleshooting.

Step 1: Verify the relevant Windows Update services
=======================================
1. Click the "Start" Button, in "Start Search" box, type: "services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Double click the service "Windows Update".
3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service.
4. Please repeat the above steps with the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" service.

You can also temporarily stop these services, restart the computer, and then start these services again. If any service is missing or cannot be stopped or restarted, please let me know.

Step 2: Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
================================================
This problem may occur if the Windows Update Software distribution folder has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit the Windows Update site.

1. Close all the open windows.
2. Click the "Start" Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".
4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

5. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
7. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.
8. While still in the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully started. However, if it failed, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

How to capture a screenshot
======================
1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click the "Start" Button, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.
3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste". Then click the "File" menu, and click "Save".
4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to my email account at @mssupport.microsoft.com

How to collect the System Information
=============================
The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click the "Start" Button, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start System Information.
2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.

Please send it as an attachment to @mssupport.microsoft.com. If the file is too large to be sent, please right-click on the exported file, choose "Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder", and then send the zip file to @mssupport.microsoft.com for further research.

How to collect the WindowsUpdate.log file
================================
1. Click the "Start" Button, type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes) in the Search Bar and Press Enter. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log"
2. Now click on the "File" menu and then click on the "Save As".
3. From the left panel, click "Desktop" and click the Save button.

The file will be saved to your Desktop. Please send the file as an attachment in an email to @mssupport.microsoft.com.

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:48 AM

I tried to copy and paste the information he gave me and unfortunately all that stuff on the left of the above reply wasnt in my email. Sorry about that . So hopefully you can understand it. He said we would solve the Windows Explorer problem after this one.

When I did the first step that he listed above, clicking on the Windows Update and then again later on the Background Intelligent file, I had Automatic (Delayed Start ) selected so I selected the Automatic and when I went to select the "Start" button as per instructed, it was gray and I couldnt select it, the same when I changed it to "Manuel" . So thats as far as I got on the instructions. Maybe thats where my problem is. I am waiting for a reply back.

I will let you know what I find out . Also when we get to the Windows explorer closing problem too.

Charlene
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks Charlene. I have edited the information you posted to make it easier to read and remove the techs email address. I hope a fix is found for you soon.
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks AnnMarie , here is the tech reply to the part being gray in case someone has that problem too . I will try it and see if it gets fixed.

From your description, I understand that the Windows Update Service is set to Automatic (Delayed start). the Start button for Windows Update Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service is gray out.

Yes, we will troubleshoot other issues after resolving the current issue. I will work with you close until all the problems are resolved.

I would like to explain that Automatic (Delayed start) is fine. It also means that the Windows Update Service has been set to Automatic. Delayed start means that Windows Update Service only will be started when running Windows Update. I would like to confirm that if the Stop button is gray out too? If not, please click the Stop and click Start again.

Please finish all the suggestions in my initial email and also capture a screenshot of the Windows Update Service Properties.

1. Click the "Start" Button, in "Start Search" box, type: "services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Double click the service "Windows Update".
3. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
4. Click the "Start" Button, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.
5. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste". Then click the "File" menu, and click "Save".
6. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
7. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to my email account at @mssupport.microsoft.com

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.

Please try my suggestion and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I am standing by for your response.
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM

OOps, I guess I could have erased all that in front of each line. I am slow , sorry . I will do that when he sends me the answer to the other problems
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
CTH Subscriber

Edited. Let us know how you get on.
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:55 PM

AnnMarie, I just read the email. Can you please take that last post out, I hate for everyone to email him. What a dummy , I am
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

I have edited it Charlene.
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM

Please remove last edited posting