Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM

O/S: MacOS
Vista upgrade disc

I bought a qualifying pc in January and sent off for the upgrade disc from Moduslink. I eventually got it and after many, many attempts including trying to upgrade, clean install, waiting till later to enter the validation code and other little things, eventually got it installed on a separate partition so I was able to dual boot with XP. However, the one big problem with it was that it couldnt see the dvd drive. Any attempt at accessing it resulted in explorer hanging; it could see music CD's though. Otherwise the OS worked fine. I couldnt resolve the DVD problem so formatted the partition.

I then thought Id try to install Vista on my desktop pc instead, on a separate drive and in its own partition. Everything seemed to go fine until the last part of the install when nothing seemed to happen for ages and my pc rebooted and announced it couldnt install Vista. Ive done this about 6 times. Is it OK for me to try installing with this upgrade disc on my other PC, or is it only for the machine I bought in January, and if so can anybody offer a solution as to why it wont complete the install. My desktop PC is perfectly capable of running Vista, I was running the RC-1 for ages with no problems. Id appreciate some help please if anyone can.....

Thanks

ps It's Home Premium Express Upgrade 32-bit

Last edited by PurestLight; April 2nd, 2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: ps
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if its an upgrade disc, and you are dual booting with the system that justified the upgrade, then you are in violation of microsofts eula.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM

This is a very interesting thread. Post #13 onwards are discussing your point.

At an early point in one of my many installation attempts, where I had to choose between upgrade and clean install, the 'upgrade' box was greyed out and said that upgrade was disabled. Also because there was a choice, I chose clean install. I was surprised there was a choice. Anyhow, this disc doesnt want to upgrade anything I dont think.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
That thread don't mean a thing, first of all you are not license to run that oem vista upgrade on any computer but the one it was originally intended for, second you cannot dual boot with it if the other operating system was used to justify the vista purchase is still being used - period!

If you are having problems upgrading the original computer it was intended for, you need to contact that computers manufacturer since it is oem. They may have a quick fix if others who purchased their computer had the same problem with their copy of vista oem.

Last edited by renegade600; April 3rd, 2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:33 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Interesting Reading

Could be related as to your problems trying to upgrade.

Every version of Windows is accompanied by a EULA. This document is a contract that specifies your rights with regards to the copy of Windows you just obtained. The thing is, most people--over 90 percent--get Windows with a new PC, according to Microsoft. And their rights are substantially different from the rights of a customer who purchased Windows at retail. More specifically, versions of Windows that come with a new PC can't ever be transferred to another PC. They are, quite literally, bound to the PCs with which they were purchased.

Simply put: Windows license is pretty simple: Windows is tied to a single device (typically a PC), and not to a person.

Windows Vista's EULA has been clarified. It now explicitly states that a user may "reassign the [Windows Vista] license to another device one time." Also if you do actually have a catastrophic PC failure, you'll be able to transfer your license just as before by calling MS Suppot.

Bottom Line: One license equals one installation.

Instances of forced reactivation because of hardware upgrades are less frequent under Vista than they were under XP.

When Windows examines changes to the system, the two most heavily weighed components are the PC's motherboard and hard drive, in that order. If you change both of these components at one time, Windows will almost certainly assume it's running in a new computer and cause you to reactivate.

In the case of a Windows XP and Vista-based PC, there is an algorithm that examines hardware changes and, based on an internal score, determines whether a reactivation is required.

When that happens, Windows will attempt to reactivate electronically. If that fails, the user will need to call and reactivate manually. This is the same under Vista as it was under XP, though again the algorithm has been updated to be less strict.
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:12 AM

Interesting stuff there, Murf thank you. I only started fiddling around trying to install this vista thing on my other pc in order to prove it could or couldn't actually be installed (which it cant apparently). When I ordered this upgrade, I held out little hope of it ever working, but I had to try it. Ive given up on it now, I am going to buy a Full Vista Ultimate and relegate this mis-named Express Vista upgrade disc to the bin. Oh well it was only £15 . I now have to work out how to get rid of the boot option where it says Older OS or Vista. I have to jump in to select the right OS even though I have formatted the drive I attempted the Vista install on. I dont know how to get rid of it and dont know why its still there, when I have formatted the drive. Some boot thing which is totally beyond me .

Thanks for your info
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:27 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I would recommend Home Premium, I ran all versions and have settled on Home Premium. Here is a good comparison chart.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx

Unless you need those items that Premium does not have that Ultimate has.

Boot option is easy, I edited Bcdedit which takes some time, but I found a great free program that will do it for you.

VistaBootPro
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Thank you for that, it worked a treat. It said at first that because I didnt have Vista installed, it couldnt do certain things (I forget what) but I just deleted where it said Vista in the OS list and now it boots straight back into XP