Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Bista better then XP?

I seem to have a lot of problems with XP. It seems no matter what I do I have to reformat my HD every 3 - 6 months even though I never get viruses or spyware. It seems Windows just falls apart over time and stuff stops functioning properaly. I am wondering if switching to Vista will reduce the amount of errors I get. Is it a more stable operating system? Does it have more features that support dual monitors? I seem to have a lot of problems running dual monitors. I am just wondering if switching to Vista will solve many of the problems I have with Windows XP.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
theres really no way to help you because anything we say would be a guess. In some ways vista is better however, it could help it or make things work. It depends upon what exactly the errors are and whats causing them
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Well what features does Vista have thats better then XP? Anything big? Other then looks. Is it a whole new OS or is it just a upgraded version of XP?
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

look for yourself

Its all opinions whether vista features are better than xp. If you are upgrading for the sake of upgrading then dont. If you think it can fix your errors, dont. The errors could be the result of hardware problems and upgrading could make things worse.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I was just going to upgrade to upgrade. I was hopeing it was just a more user friendly OS and it would not have as many compatability issues being that its newer. Can the Core Two Duo run the 64 bit version?
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL Tech View Post
I was just going to upgrade to upgrade. I was hopeing it was just a more user friendly OS and it would not have as many compatability issues being that its newer. Can the Core Two Duo run the 64 bit version?

if the cpu is 64 it can.

Last edited by renegade600; February 4th, 2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: clarification
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
It has DX10, better security, improved search function, native sata support, and a whole lot of other stuff I cant seem to recall atm.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Aslo can Vista use both CPU cores for all applications? Because it seems like nothing in XP can use both cores other then benchmarking programs...
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygeneration0 View Post
It has DX10, better security, improved search function, native sata support, and a whole lot of other stuff I cant seem to recall atm.
Does the Radeon X1900XT support DX10 or 9c only?
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Usually if the CPU is x64 compatible (which most if not all C2D are) then you can run a x64 OS.

I highly recommend not going the upgrade option as it can just be a pain in the ass. If you would need to reinstall for any reason, you would have to install XP then do the upgrade option to get Vista back on. Not only that, its not good to just overwrite the old OS and its files. Just go the full version and save yourself the headache.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Aslo can Vista use both CPU cores for all applications? Because it seems like nothing in XP can use both cores other then benchmarking programs...
Usually the application has to be multi-threaded in order for it to take advantage of multi-core CPU's. So that is why it "seems" XP inst using both cores in anything other then benchmarking programs.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Does the Radeon X1900XT support DX10 or 9c only?
DX9 only. Only the 8800 series cards from nVidia (currently) support DX 10 natively and fully. The upcoming R600 from AMD/ATi will support DX10 natively and fully.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygeneration0 View Post
Usually if the CPU is x64 compatible (which most if not all C2D are) then you can run a x64 OS.

I highly recommend not going the upgrade option as it can just be a pain in the ass. If you would need to reinstall for any reason, you would have to install XP then do the upgrade option to get Vista back on. Not only that, its not good to just overwrite the old OS and its files. Just go the full version and save yourself the headache.

you can do the upgrade option and start with a clean slate. When you start installing the upgrade version you are given two options. One to install over the current os and one to start with a clean install. You do NOT need the full version.