Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM

Having troubles using internet explorer on vista

I hope you can help me I have a dell inspiron 1525 laptop as of sunday everything was working fine then yesterday I found I cannot open Internet explorer I get error message which reads "ieuser.exe bad image (red X) c:/ProgramFiles\Internet Explorer\MSIMG32.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support"

The other program that has a similar message is MSN messenger the message is the same except \windows live\messenger instead of internet explorer

I opened the cmd comand and did the check that I seen posted on another similiar problem I rebooted computer but was not prompted to do so just did restart.

Any help would be great

Thanks In Advance
Oceanview
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Oceanview46 and welcome. Do you have an entry in Programs and Features for MyWebSearch? If so, uninstall this rubbish, reboot and let me know if this fixed the problem.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:13 AM

I have no idea if i had that I ran a malwarebytes scan cleaned out alot of yucky stuff .....I then got a copy of the MSIMG32.dll and replaced the old one and now everything seems to be working fine ....Thank you very much for your quick responce

Oceanview
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome Oceanview46. You dont say where you replaced the file however msimg32.dll should only be in your System32 folder.
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM

There was one in the msn messenger folder and one in the internet explorer i just replaced them......didnt even look in system32 folder unless there are msn messenger and internet explorer folders within the system32 folder?....I just did a search for the file msimg32.dll then went to open containing likely messed something up but so far all is working good.

Ocean
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:13 AM
CTH Subscriber

Like I said, msimg32.dll should only exist in your System32 folder. You said you ran MalwareBytes AntiMalware so it should have removed the versions of msimg32.dll installed by MyWebSearch.

See here for more information however I repeat, the file in your System32 folder is legitimate.

Why on earth would you want to put the file back again and re-enable the adware? Uninstalling MyWebSearch as I suggested in the first instance would have resolved your problem.
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM

I did not have mywebsearch to uninstalled but still had the problem with only MSN messenger and internet explorer browser ...In program files internet explorer there are quiet a few dll files the msimg32 dll file is the one i had replaced and also in program files windows live messenger same thing alot of dll files that also was the one i replaced. Should I take these two files out of those folders?... I did not replace any in system 32 folder. Some how those two files had become corupted but since replacing them I have had no problems
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Should I take these two files out of those folders?
Yes, the file should only exist in your System32 folder.