Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Unhappy Outlook 2000 will not Archive or Auto Archive

My Outlook 2000 will not archive or auto archive. The process appears to proceed normally, but no emails are move/deleated. During auto archive, the process stops and an error box appears – “Errors occurred while archiving. Look for a detailed report in your Deleted Items folder.” The error message in the folder reads:

Error while archiving folder "Inbox" in store "Personal Folders". You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation.

Error while archiving folder "Inbox" in store "Archive Folders". Cannot read archive properties from folder Inbox. Cannot create archiving properties. You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation.

I am running Norton Internet Security 2007. Could this be a contributin factor. I have had a lot of problems with it.
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
I suspect this is a Windows XP restriction rather than an Outlook 2000 one.

Make sure your user account is labelled "Computer Administrator".

If that's not the issue, and you're using XP Pro, it may have email restrictions set in the Group Policy Editor (not applicable to XP Home).
See here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/group_policy_editor.htm

I don't know if NIS has any relevance here, but you could do worse than getting rid of it anyway. It's a memory-hog and and it's virus-detection capability has recently been branded as "scandalous" and "a rip off" by a national PC magazine, easily outclassed by - wait for it - the free AVG anti-virus. (Computer Buyer - Feb 2007)

Last edited by pip22; March 1st, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip22 View Post
I suspect this is a Windows XP restriction rather than an Outlook 2000 one.

Make sure your user account is labelled "Computer Administrator".

If that's not the issue, and you're using XP Pro, it may have email restrictions set in the Group Policy Editor (not applicable to XP Home).
See here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/group_policy_editor.htm

I don't know if NIS has any relevance here, but you could do worse than getting rid of it anyway. It's a memory-hog and and it's virus-detection capability has recently been branded as "scandalous" and "a rip off" by a national PC magazine, easily outclassed by - wait for it - the free AVG anti-virus. (Computer Buyer - Feb 2007)
Thanks.

Check for the computer admistrator label. It's there.

Frankly, I am a bit leary of going into the Group Policy Editor. I use my machine for business and am quite far from being a geek.

However, I might try it, but before I do, can you think of any way that email restriction in XP Pro might have been reset by something I did?

I let my .pst file get to big. Had to repair it and truncate it just to make it work again. all the problems started after that.