Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old December 12th, 2005, 08:34 PM

Trying to play a game across 2 home networked pcs

Hi
I've got two pcs networked at home through Belkin modem router and my son wants to play Age of Empires (the original) with me which we should be able to do across the 2 networked pcs.
The prob is when we select multiplayer and chose the tcp/ip option we cant see each other. A window pops up asking me to key in the IP address and i've done 192.168.2.3 and also our own main Ip address, but neither seem to get reconised.
I've got a feeling I need to mess around with the router to get this to work but i havent a clue how.
Sorry if this is a bit garbled but I'm not too good with this stuff. Can anyone help please?
Thanks.
Old December 13th, 2005, 02:54 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Actually, the router shouldn't be effecting this at all. The belkin home router you speak of is actually a single port router with a switch attached.

The problems with your game is problably a configuration based problem.

Things to look for:
Make sure you game is at the same patch level. Often times game clients won't recognize eachother if they aren't the same version.
Check the firewalls for your computers, if you have firewallls, try playing the game with them disabled.
Double check the ip address entered. You should be connection to the remote computers IP address, not the local address.