Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 12th, 2002, 03:06 PM

Building a new computer Quick Question Please help?

this is my only question i ordererd some new parts for the computer im going to build but i am going to use some old parts from my old computer and add them to the new one.i am going to add the hard drive on my old computer the one im using right now. Can i just take it out of this computer and just add it in my new computer so i can have 2 hard drives. Will this delete all my saves information on my old hard drive when i install it in the new compuetr? thanks for the help.
Old July 12th, 2002, 04:33 PM

That all depends on whether you want to install it as the main drive or a slave one for data. If it's the second drive, then just install it as a slave and start up and everything should be happy. If you want it as a master / primary main drive, then there will be complications. You will probably get all sorts of driver problems when windows starts and then realises that the motherboard you used to have isn't there anymore and all of a sudden there's this new one with all sorts of extra things it's never seen before. The old drivers will clash with the new drivers and everything goes pear shaped. However, sometimes you can get away with it by starting it up first time in safe mode and when you get into windows, go into control panel and then device manager and deleting everything (without doing a restart when prompted !!) and once they're all gone (with the exception of usually the hard disk controllers which it probably won't let you delete (but if it does, so much the better)), restarting it yourself. On the restart, windows should realise it's got no drivers and start in fairly basic mode, then start installing new devices. As I say, this isn't always successful, and I only tend to use this method if one of our users is upgrading from say a toshiba 440cdt to a 480cdt where there's obviously not too many differences between the two.
As a slave drive as I say however, no worries, just slap it in and turn it on.

Last edited by steve; July 12th, 2002 at 04:37 PM.
Old July 12th, 2002, 07:14 PM

Wink

thanks alot for the reply so as long as set my new hard drive up as the master and my old hard drive with my old files as a slave i don't have to back up all my old files? thanks for the help.:cheesy: