Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows ME

Notices

Windows ME Problem solving for the Windows ME Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:47 AM

Installing Windows ME on a new hard drive

Windows installed up until it rebooted to finish. Then with the WinME CD still in a message came up "Insert boot disk and press any key". So I went back and made the c: drive the 1st boot and I'm still getting the "Insert boot disk and press any key"
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:13 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
When you ran fdisk and made your partitions, did you make the boot partition active?
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:48 PM

Yes the partition is set to active.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:55 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Try another install or try restoring the master boot record. I generally install from the hard drive for win95/98/Me unless space is a major issue.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

I should have mentioned that it is a 1999 laptop and it came with a Phoenix bios and a 6 gig HDD. Where I likely made my mistake was buying a 40 gig drive from Samsung. Samsung software is supposed to format the drive and trick the bios into thinking the drive is smaller than it is. What is happening is although other scandisk programs are not finding any errors, Windows ME scandisk is making a change in the free space everytime no matter what I do. I tried to make c: partition the original disk size but even if that would work I haven't found a program that will format it.

Windows installs no problem but I have to bypass the bios somehow because thats where it hangs on reboot. I hard forced the drive to bootup but it still hangs.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:18 PM

Correction default scandisk, not meant to say Windows ME scandisk.