Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:19 AM

Wink On system boot up takes too long to load.

I have a dell demension 8200 desktop, 1.8 Ghtz, with 256mb memory. I have a 40 GB hard drive filled up about half way. When I reboot, sometime due to locking up on the internet DSL cable, When the hour glass starts it take along time to load the stuff down on the bottom right icon toolbar. Also takes awhile to load McAfee virusscan. I only have about 50 mb free memory when it is able to be used. When I load the internet it take about 2 minutes. Even if I free the memory before I load the internet it still drops down below 100mb when it load. So things are slow calling up on the internet. When I get alot of window open i seem to lock up and have to reboot. Don't really have alot of popup due to McAfee but use too. I use to be faster. Do I need more memory. I have the memory booster called pc booster but it did not help any. Do i need more memory like boost up to 512mb or what. Let me know, I am at wits end.
Thank You
Old January 8th, 2005, 03:47 AM

Wink re: boot up takes too long to load

Hi,

Have you one a defrag and a error checking through the properties on c: drive click on tools, or you may have to do a clean up on your whole system and format the hard drive, just make sure you save any thing that is valuable before you do. What i did was i bought a second hard drive and made the original hd a slave drive so that i could didnt have to lose the information on it.
hope this helps
Old January 8th, 2005, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky777
Hi,

Have you one a defrag and a error checking through the properties on c: drive click on tools, or you may have to do a clean up on your whole system and format the hard drive, just make sure you save any thing that is valuable before you do. What i did was i bought a second hard drive and made the original hd a slave drive so that i could didnt have to lose the information on it.
hope this helps
I have done defrags and check disk or clean on start up. I think I need to do what you did and get a hard drive to back up as a secondary. Can you use usb hard drives for this, zip drive or what would you recommend. Thanks for your reply.
Old January 8th, 2005, 06:43 AM

hi you could add more memory if you want for faster booting
and also use disk cleaners and registry cleaners for junk and obsolete files keys etc. maybe you could go to this site www.blackviper.com for disabling some processes that you dont need and for faster booting !

cheers!