Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:10 PM

Smile can only boot in safe mode or get blue screen of death

I have a ten year old Dell pc with windows 98 (it is one of five computers, the only one that old and with windows 98). I have to have win98 on it because of this one program I use that will not work in XP.

I had this same problem last year and I tried various fixes as suggested by a friend, but none seemed to work, and then finally it just sort of fixed itself. So far it is not doing that.

The program I use is related to my video card, so it might be related to the error. I use a TV Wonder USB, which is a device that attaches to your pc and to your tv or vcr. It is a TV tuner, allows you to watch TV on your pc as well as make screencaps and other things. It is made by ATI. I usually leave the pc on and sometimes the program crashes. It's never been a very stable program but works fine for my needs.

Yes, I could probably get a more modern tv tuner card, but when I looked into that, ATI could not tell me which of their cards will make transcripts from the closed-captioning (which is what I use this for). I would have to pay someone to install a card, anyway. I don't want to have to keep buying and installing cards until I found one that does it, you know? Would rather stick with what I have.

I am getting the blue screen of death whenever I reboot, except sometimes it will load in safe mode. I tried running scandisk in safe mode but then it gave me the blue screen of death.

I also can't get the keyboard to work, only the mouse (probably has something to do with it being on USB or something - that has always been the case when I'm in safe mode, so I don't think it's related to the problem).

I also tried running regedit/ fix from run, but it won't work, says I can only do it from the command prompt (like when you boot up) but that won't work since the keyboard won't work...I can't get it out of "safe mode only".

The blue screen of death says: An exception OE has occurred at 0028:
C29E211F in VXD LSIPNDS (01) + 0000813F. This was called from 0028:
C001C3D4 in VXD NDIS (01) +

I tried going into device manager and removing the display adapter (I think that is the video driver?) and rebooted but it didn't help, still got the same error.

I would try doing a windows repair or reinstall myself if I had the 98 disk.... will have to take it to a repair person and pay money if that is needed.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Suzanne Lanoue
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:46 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Sorry no one has helped yet, Windows 98 is not a popular forum, although still a great operating system.

SAFE MODE "98" has a problem loading USB, so no USB devices will work...A bug that I think was fixed in W98 Second Edition (SE)

VXD LSIPNDS (01) + 0000813F I believe is a modem error or a wireless card in your case????

Do you use one???? If so uninstall and reinstall those drivers.
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:52 AM

Thanks! It does have a wireless card...will look into that next if running scandisk doesn't work. It has been running all day (takes a long time, always has). At least it didn't crash on me this time

Suzanne
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:34 PM

I was able to get it going again. After scandisk finished, it found the video card drivers again and reinstalled them. It did crash on me again, but rebooted normally, so I reinstalled the ATI program I always use (the reason I need it to have windows 98, the program that was running the first time it crashed and gave me the BSOD), and so far it is working again! Cross your fingers!
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Thanks for the update.
Old August 6th, 2010, 12:19 AM

It kept crashing again so I took it to the shop and they fixed it...I pick it up tomorrow. I don't know what they did yet, but it only cost $80 so my guess is that they reinstalled Windows...
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:17 PM

Turns out they didn't fix it and now I am getting the same exact problems again.

They claimed that the wireless card is dead. Yet it still seems to be in there both physically and in the device manager (although not working). They claimed the problem causing the blue screen was a virus, but I do not believe that, for a couple of different reasons I won't bother going into here. Obviously they were wrong since it's happening again less than 2 weeks later! I still think it has something to do with the video drivers but so far I have not been able to fix that.

I have been using my ATI program constantly since it was fixed, and it only crashed 3 other times before this, and those times it worked fine after I rebooted. Now it is again giving me only the BSOD or safe mode.

They left a Windows 98 CD in my drive but when I am in safe mode it does not see the cd drives, only the floppy drives.

I have norton systemworks installed but it won't run in safe mode, either, apparently.

I went into device manager and removed the video card, the ati, and the wireless card, but it did not help.

Any suggestions? I will probably take it back but would rather fix it instead since a) I hate having to wait for them, and their place is not that close, and b) I don't have much faith in them at this point.
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:47 PM

I uninstalled programs and drivers, including modems, wireless card and video card. I finally got it to boot up normally and reinstalled my ATI program. Hopefully it will work for awhile! Knock wood.