Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Unhappy Laptop won't boot up, even in safe mode

I own a Dell Inspiron 6000, which has just gone to the Big Desk in the Sky.
This forum helped me once before with a virus on that same laptop, but this time around there may not be any possibility of saving it.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but Firefox suddenly became incredibly sluggish and couldn't load pictures or embedded videos properly. Pictures would load halfway and then get "stuck".

I did three virus scans with three different programs, but all of them came up negative so I assumed it must be something else.

After a day or so of being a general pain, my laptop seemed to recover slightly. I was doing some work and inserted my USB thumb drive. The instant the driver was plugged in - BAM! - Blue Screen of Death.

After a reboot Windows refused to open anything and then hung. It did the same thing the second time. I had some files that I urgently needed, so I removed the harddrive, put it into a handy Portable Harddrive case that I own. I hooked it up to the family PC and managed to extract the vital files.

After that I put the harddrive back into the laptop and attempted to reboot in safe mode so I could do another scan. It got about halfway through loading in safe mode, and then hung. I tried again, same result. Tried booting it up in regular mode just for the heck of it, and didn't even get to the "windows loading" page before it died.

I decided there was nothing for it but to save what I could and then reinstall windows. But when I removed the harddrive again and hooked it up in the same way, the PC couldn't read it any more. I tried about five times, plugging and unplugging it, but nothing.

I put it back into the laptop again and attempted to reinstall Windows, but it won't boot in any mode, safe or otherwise, I can't go into the setup page, and inserting the windows installation disc does nothing.

My feeling right now is that I may as well just throw the harddrive in the bin and get a new one, but if there's any chance of saving any of my files, please someone tell me.

Old October 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Go into your Bios & make sure your CD/Rom is first in the boot order. It should boot from the windows disk even if your hard drive is bad. You just won't be able to load windows on a bad harddrive. How many sticks of memory do you have installed?
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:23 AM

How do I do that?
If you mean RAM, I have two sticks installed.
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:21 AM

Actually, I'm starting to think this may be a hardware problem. The computer went down so quickly, with little to no warning and no detectable viruses. I should probably just take it to the repair shop.