Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

Fan making lots of noise

Good day CTH folks,

I am not sure how to proceed with this issue, I have a noisey fan (sometimes). Currently it is quiet but 15 minutes ago it was making a racket. I took a look in the case while it was running to see if I could determine which fan is making all the noise. It appears that all of the fans are turning properly and I was unable to pinpoint it. One of the Geek squad told me that it is possible that my ballbearings are out of adjustment, which made sense if I new which fan is so noisey. I have cleaned with canned air and it didn't make a difference.
I put in the graphics card a few months ago and thought it was noiser than I expected but decided it was just the additional fan. I am leaning toward the heatsink fan on my processor but not sure.
This is my Everrest sensor report:
Sensor Properties: Sensor Type SMSC LPC47M192/997 (SMBus 2Dh) GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV) Motherboard Name MSI MS-7093 Temperatures: Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F) CPU 33 °C (91 °F) GPU 56 °C (133 °F) Maxtor 6L200M0 37 °C (99 °F) Cooling Fans: CPU 884 RPM Chassis 1890 RPM
I am open to your knowledgeable suggestions. It does appear that the GPU temperature is higher than the rest. Should this be my red flag?
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Press down the middle of the fans to stop them, Try find which one is making the noise. If you press and stop the CPU one and the noise stops, then it probably is the CPU fan.

Make sure they are clear of cables infront or behind them, Sometimes even a cable in the way can make it sound way louder.
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM

if i were you , i'd do like 1337_GuY said , and if it was 1 of them , ill go and buy a new one.
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks, I will try that. I guess that won't bother operations if I press the center. I have to wait until it is making the noise again as it is all quiet currently. Will up date.
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

Great idea l337_GuY! The CPU fan is fine, the box fan is great, I didn't know I could check like that, kewl. It is the fan on my graphics card and it is operating, noisey but the card is warm to the touch but I rearely shut down my computer. New question..... can I fix the graphics card fan without replacing the fairly new card NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS too?

Adding comment: I was just reading reviews on NewEgg and it seems several others with this card have/had fan issues also. I also checked my purchase date and although I was thinking it was a few months old, it is actually nearly one year old.

Last edited by 98SE_XP_USER; December 8th, 2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old December 8th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Yeah you can just replace the heatsink/fan with a different VGA cooler, which you can buy from Newegg.