Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Dual Boot Windows 98SE and Windows 95

HI

I'm join in this forum in the search of help to my computer situation. I have windows 98SE and I wish install windows 95C windows 95 C use file system Fat 32, so I don't need create a FAT 16 2GB partition to this OS. I have a 40GB hard disk formated in one primary partition and two logicals. Windows 98SE use the first primary partition. I wish Install Windows 95C in the second partition, D:\

I read some information about how do this but my experience in this is short I can make function by my self. I need help and hints about that.

Thanks
jramon
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:32 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You need to install windows 95 to the first partition
on the drive.
It can't be over 8GB or 95 will have problems reading
the drive.
Then install 98 SE onthe second partition.
You will need a boot loader like system commander
to be able to boot to both.
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Welcome to CTH

Yes it can be done.

1. It is recommended that at least two partitions be created, one partition for Windows 95 and the other for Windows 98.

2. Once at least two partitions have been created on the computer, if you have an OEM version of Windows 98 install it first as it will search for pre-existing operating systems. If you have a retail version of Windows 98 you can either install Windows 95 or Windows 98 first.

Note: If you have a Windows 98 Retail or OEM it is also important to know that you can boot from this CD and install Windows.

3. Once one of the Operating Systems has been installed in the computer, boot the computer from a bootable floppy diskette and at the MS-DOS prompt install the other operating system onto the other partition.

Note: you do not want to install Windows 95/98 through Windows, it must be done from MS-DOS.

4. Once both Operating Systems have been installed onto the computer it will boot to the last installed operating system. To boot to the alternate Operating system you will needed to edit the msdos.sys file and change the WinDir= and the WinBootDir to the appropriate drive letter. If you find yourself needing to boot between the operating systems often it may be easier to create two different msdos.sys files and then use a batch file to switch between these msdos.sys files.

Also you would Add the following line to the [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file:

BootMulti=1

If you need detailed instructions on any part of this post and we can provide.
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Thanks, I never heard about win Commander. I try with this when I find one and post my advance here.

JRamon
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:01 PM

If you follow my post you will not need Wincommander..........