Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 21st, 2003, 08:45 PM

monitor idle

Hi,

Just recently my monitor will not go into idle (shutdown) mode. I have had it set to go idle after 10 min of no activity and the hard drives after 20 min for around 2 years now, drives will shutdown but not the monitor. I have re-set the the power schemes in the power mgt properties, by changing them and then hitting apply, I have even restarted the computer right after making the changes. Nothing works, monitor stays on all the time computer is running. I haven't installed any new hardware recently that might possibly have affected the monitor settings.
Any one have any ideas? I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks much,

don1400
Old February 24th, 2003, 02:46 AM

Hi don1400,

If it has not been to long you might try to restore a registry from MS-DOS mode:

1. Restart the system.

2. Hold down Ctrl key during system startup until the Startup Menu displays, and choose "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" from the Startup Menu.

3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore and press Enter.

4. Choose which backup to restore, by using the Tab key.

You should have a choice of registry backups from the last five days the system successfully booted. The backups from the last five days will be in the format RB00x.*, where RB stands for Registry Backup, and x is the sequence number of the backup. RB000.cab is the most recent backup.

5. Press Enter

You may get a message, Registry was successfully restored. If so press Enter.

6. Type Exit

7. Press Enter
Old February 24th, 2003, 07:49 PM

monitore idle

Hi Virtual me,

Tried your suggestions, no good, could not get any dates to backup sucessfully. Since I posted the thread, here are 2 things I have noticed. 1st the monitor WILL go idle if you change the power scheme and hit apply but if you turn computer off it looses that power scheme. The 2nd thing I found is that the following is missing from the startup menu: Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll.Load Current Pwr Scheme. Could this be this is the problem?. I did a search for this file and could not find it, also could not locate it on the Win98 install disk. There's a slew of zipped files on install disk, will a search look at zipped files?
Maybe this gives you some more info to work with.
Thanks for the help so far.
Don 1400

Last edited by don1400; February 24th, 2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old February 26th, 2003, 03:57 PM

See if you can use System File Checker to find it.

HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;188213

RESOLUTION:
To resolve this issue, rename the Powrprof.dll file (if it exists) in the Windows\System folder, and then extract a new copy of the Powrprof.dll file from your original Windows 98 CD-ROM into the Windows\System folder using the System File Checker tool. To start the System File Checker tool, click Start, click Run, type sfc.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.

Last edited by VirtualMe; February 26th, 2003 at 04:00 PM.
Old February 27th, 2003, 08:06 PM

Hi, and thanks again. After my last reply, and before your current one, I went to Microsoft and looked up my problem in their knowledge base support. I found exatly what you sent and tried it, and in doing so, screwed up my computer to where it would boot, run virus scan, play windows startup music, but I had no desktop. I wound up re-installing windows and now all is well.
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Don1400