Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:20 PM

harddrive keeps making some noise

Hi I bought this computer about 3 weeks ago and everything was going good and then today I turned on and it had like this loud noise that it didn't have before. Like some kind of loading/vibrating sound and it wouldn't go away. I looked behind the harddrive but I don't think anything is wrong.. anyone know how to fix this..?
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
A continuous vibrating sort of noise is usually a fan. Sometimes a cable or wire can come in contact with the fan or the fan blades.

If it's a desktop computer, shut it down, open the case and check for any obvious wire-touching-fan locations.

If you find nothing there, with the case open, start it up to see if you can determine the cause. If you think it might be the hard drive, place your finger on the drive when it's running to find out if you can feel any sort of vibration that coincides with the noise. (Be careful of static electricity...always ground yourself by touching the outside of the case before sticking your hands inside).

If it's a fan making the noise all by itself, fans can usually be bought for less than $5 (U.S.). If it's the hard drive and you bought the computer new, call the people holding the warranty on it.

If it's a laptop, you're probably best off taking it to a computer shop.
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:28 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
ya realy,my laptop also gives a lot of noise.and i'm sure its from hard disk.in a desktop its understandable that there might be any wire touching here or there.but in laptop...what could be the reason...please can anybody look into it??
Prakhar
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:14 AM

It's a desktop computer. Anyway I was wondering will anything bad happen if I just leave it and don't open up my computer?
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If it is a fan, then....

If it's the processor fan and it stops, you'll be in the market for at least a new processor; most likely several hundred dollars.

If it's a power supply fan and it stops, you'll be replacing the power supply, maybe some other components if the power supply takes a few things with it when it goes.

If it's a video card fan and it goes, you'll be buying a new video card...at least $100 for a new one, quite a bit more for a good one.

If it's a case fan and it goes, it may not do much damage other than repeated random shutdowns from overheating. The repeated overheating could do some expensive damage, though.

For all of the above scenarios, you'll be without a functioning computer until you get the damage fixed.

If it's wires touching the blades of a fan and the fan eventually wears a hole in the wire, whether there's any damage depends on what the wire's connected to.

As for laptops....they're a whole different deal. If you're not knowledgeable about and experienced in taking a laptop apart (and putting it back together correctly), it's best left to a reputable computer shop.