Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old November 4th, 2004, 11:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Tips for Firefox Upgrade

If you haven't yet updated to any of the 1.0 versions, here's a tip to update all your extensions, and not have them disabled by FF. Doing it this way means you don't have to wait for extensions to be updated via their creators and you wont lose them by FF disabling them.

I learned this via one of the FAQ's in Mozillazine and this is the way I did it.

Firstly find Extensions.rdf
This can be found here:- Documents & Settings > *User Name* > Application Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles > *User Profile* > Extensions - Click on the folder Extensions and when all the folders and files are showing, look for Extensions.rdf and open it. It will open in the format of a notebook document. When you have the file open, click Edit > Find and then type in em:max or em:maxVersion - then click Find Next. (If you do this all the way through the document you will find every extension you have installed.) At every occurence of em:max, if the version is say 0.9.3 - 0.10.1 etc, change it to 1.0 - Remember to keep it in quotes ("). If you do this through the whole document all your extensions will now be operable in the new version. If the extension is 1.2 or 1.0 or 1.1 etc, leave it, it is OK. When you finish, close and save the document.

Note: If you don't do this, when you upgrade from 0.10.1 or 0.9.3 etc to 1.0RC1, 1.0RC2 or any other 1.0 version, Firefox will disable all non-compatible extensions and the only way to upgrade the extension will be individually from the .xpi file itself, which is a pain, or wait for them to be updated elsewhere.

Last edited by keith.evans; November 4th, 2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old November 4th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Thanks for the info Keith
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:42 PM

What about if I loaded the upgrades then tried your suggestion, Keith? I tried that and it doesn't seem to work. Do I have to upgrade my Firefox then add all the extensions again?
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The idea of my post was to inform people who have not upgraded to any of the 1.0 versions of that particular method. Once you have upgraded to any of the 1.0 versions, Firefox will disable all extensions not compatible with the new version. If this has happened to you I'm afraid you'll have to wait until someone bumps them to work with 1.0