Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:17 PM

Chinese (I think) characters

Does anyone know why when I click on certain links, the results page comes back with what looks like a series of Chinese symbols?
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Without knowing what those "certain" links are, or anything about your computer (other than it may run W7), your browser, the history of this problem, malware status, all I can guess is that you are visiting sites hosted in Asia somewhere.
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:06 PM

I doubt that the site is in Asia. I'm trying to access medical records in Chicago, Illinois through my health care provider's website. I click on a link for an access code in order to register, and a page comes up with what look like Chinese symbols. I'm using Internet Explorer, if that even matters. I think it might have something to do with missing updates or something, maybe Java? There's been no previous history, and as far as I know, no malware issues. I'm running Avast, as well as Malwarebytes.
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:19 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
On a web page, right click anywhere and go to ENCODING, look under "More" is anything checked besides English?

You should have;

ISO (Western European)
Left-To-Right Document
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Because health care information is so "personal", I would make sure your computer is free of malware too. Have you tried accessing the site from more than one computer? What about an alternative browser?

What version of IE? With Windows 7, you should be up to IE10.

Do you really need Java? I uninstalled Java months ago and have not found a need to use it. Java has had a bunch of critical security issues over the last year that Oracle struggled to fix. Many sites no longer require Java so many security experts recommend removing it completely. And I agree. If you don't need it, get rid of it.

Java routinely has new critical vulnerabilities discovered. Because of that fact, the US Dept of Homeland Security Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) recommends if you must have Java, you update it, then disable it, until needed.

If your provider's website requires Java, you should complain to their webmasters and tell them Java is not safe!
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if the previous postings does not help, post a screen shot of the Chinese characters you are talking about.
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:55 AM

I don't know if it's a Java issue or not, and if I don't really need it, I'm all up for removing it. I'm constantly being asked to update it. It's strange that it only happens every once in a while. After I clicked the link, there were no pop-ups telling me I needed to open any program, or asking me to allow anything. It just went straight to this page. After my last post, I tried Firefox, and had no problems with registering for this site. I do have an older version, Windows 7. Should I try updating to 10, and see if it fixes it?

When I checked Encoding, only the boxes you listed should be checked were. I'm still trying to figure out how to post a screen shot, but I'll look into that now.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Should I try updating to 10, and see if it fixes it?
I think you should update to IE10 just because IE10 is the latest version supported by Windows 7 and, as part of "practicing safe computing", keeping our computers current is an essential step in keeping our computers, and its users, safe and secure.

As for fixing the problem, it may not because the upgrade will maintain your current configuration settings. And to that, note that most problems with IE are due to wayward or conflicting add-ons, or incorrect settings. So I recommend you reset Internet Explorer. From within IE, click on Tools > Internet options > Advanced, then click "Reset..." to take IE back to its default settings with no add-ons. You can do this before or after upgrading to IE10.
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
the reason why I wanted to see the screenshot is to make sure the pages are html and not some other that may be using the wrong default program such as pdf trying to open in some non compatible program. When that happens you can get strange characters.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:17 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how to copy a picture of the screen and insert it into the post. Hopefully one of my kids can help. I've tried print screen, clip art, etc. , and can't figure out how to copy the page and post it.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:37 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Windows 7 has what is called a Snipping Tool. To access it;

Start | Search box type; Snipping Tool, results double click it.

Click on the arrow next to New button, select Free-Form Snip, Rectangular Snip, Window Snip or Full Screen Snip

You can draw around the piece you want to capture or capture the whole window, The captured area of the screen appears in the mark-up window, now you go to File | Save As and give it a name and save somewhere, generally the desktop.

You will now have a JPG file of the screen shot, which you can upload here.

Below where you post, you will see "Manage Attachments", click on it to upload the photo.