Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:45 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Installing XP Home over XP Professional

I bought my daughter a used laptop and right after getting it I went and downloaded all the Windows updates (99 of them) and everything was fine. A couple weeks later a balloon pops up saying we may be the victims of counterfeit Windows software and click here to resolve the issue. I click and it takes me to download a Windows validation thing. I cancel because i'm not sure what will happen if it indeed determines it is counterfeit. I have a Windows XP upgrade disk. The problem is when I try to do an install it says there is no upgrade path. I assume because this would actually be a downgrade going from Professional to Home. Can anyone tell me in plain and super simple english how to get around this? Thank you for any help.
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if the current install is counterfeit, then you are not eligible to use a windows upgrade disk. You will need to purchase the full retail version of xp.

You may be able to order a restore cd from the laptops manufacturer.
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM

I would go ahead & check the validation because if it is an illigal copy of windows you won't be able to update it any more.
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM

Thats the odd thing. I figured it wouldn't update either but it did do an update just 2 days ago although I still get the balloon popping up telling me to download the Windows validation. I am 99% sure I downloaded the validation thing when I did the initial 99 updates right after getting the computer. It made me download that before I could do the updates. Assuming that I did why didn't it catch a problem right then? It was about 2 weeks later she started getting the balloons popping up about it.

If I can order a copy of the restore cd would I need the Windows code number whatever that thing is called? The code you get when you buy a Windows cd? There is a sticker on her computer but it is partially off and I can't see the entire thing.

This pc came stock with XP professional (I looked it up) so i'm not sure why anyone would have put a counterfeit copy on it.
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM

You have 30 days to active XP from the first time you start to use it. Does that popup have day number in it?

The number you are talking about is the product code & you may or may not need that to get a disk. Give them a call you got nothing to lose..

Someone could have changed the harddrive & that is how you could have an illigal copy.. No way to be sure about that..
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by acapozi View Post

If I can order a copy of the restore cd would I need the Windows code number whatever that thing is called? The code you get when you buy a Windows cd? There is a sticker on her computer but it is partially off and I can't see the entire thing.
usually if its a recovery cd you will not need the number thats on the sticker. It will automatically activate - depending upon the laptop model.
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Thank you for the help, much appreciated. I'll try to find out about getting a restore cd and if not i'll have to find a full version XP.