Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Screwed Up My Pc Help

So i wanted to change my vista theme to a custom made one, and according to the guide, i had to edit some DLL files, i wasn't thinking, and copied the persons NEW dll files and changed the name of my old ones.
The dll files i changed were

browseui.dll
ieframe.dll
imageres.dll
and exe in c drive under windows called EXPLORER. i also had to do that too.
Now my laptop's finger pad mouse thinger wont work, Nor can i edit any of my DLL's to change back what i started,When i right click on them to change the name back to .dll because i had to change to.old so i could paste the new ones, i do it, then the screen flickers and nothing happens, i also tried draggin to desktop, renaming and redragging, wont work.
Everytime i open any vista application that makes a window popup for confirmation, for example any game, anything in admin mode, basically all apps, i get "file system error (65535)"
and if i open any windows, not including like music folders, but like appearance etc, i just get CANNOT BE DISPLAYED.
i cant go into advance command prompt to type Sfc/scannow to fix all the errors, because it requires administator, which gives me the 65535 error, i'm basically ****ed.
Also i cant go into safe mode to edit anything, because when i turn on my PC a screen pops up with like 100 different colours, the ENTIRE screens that, for like 5 minutes, then it goes directly into login page, so holding F8just freezes it.
Is there anyway i can fix this?
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi simonxdahliah. Provided you have a Vista Installation DVD, we should be able to run System Restore. System Restore monitors exe's and dlls so it will reinstate the versions you changed.
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Banned

hey simon.. you really seems screwed up.. go by the ann's advice that is the only way out for you in the current scenario...

Just try to start a repair option from your vista DVD..

Hope things get shorted out.. Bless You
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Thank you both, i think the only way to fix this is a reformat, Because i cant even access the Disk drive, its unfortunate.
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
i cant even access the Disk drive
Your CD/DVD drive wont open? How are you going to reinstall Vista then?