Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Unhappy Team Fortress 2 - video out of range

Ok here is the senario.......

Son 1 has a steam account with, amongst others, the above game. he plays games lots and Son 2 likes the look of these game too .

Son 1 allows Son 2 access to his Steam account and so Son 2 can play Team Fortress 2. Son 2 decides he's had enough of the small text which appears on screen and so goes to options within the game. he goes into video and changes the resolution from ???? to ?????.

He then clicks apply and guess what? yep. A black screen with just a display message saying .. Out of Range, VGA IN 1024 x 768, H.Sync : +35.7Khz, V. Sync : - 59.9 Hz, Clock : 121.0 Mhz.

We can minimise the game by doing ctrl esc and terminate using task manager so there isn't a problem re using the PC afterwards.

OK the story continues.... By the way.. Son 1 is still able to play Team Fortress 2 on his login fine but trying to run it on Son 2's login .. nope will not do it? I guess it must be something to do with Son 2's login configuration like the screen resolution but I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I'm prety sure it's a configuration file for this game but I've no idea where it could be. ............

Son 2 decides to buy himself a steam account + 4 games with his christmas money he got from Granny.

He puts the DVD in the drive and decides, looking at the options available, he can do it all online via steam. so he does this (apparently without downloading any files [hard to believe]).

When running steam he tries to run Team Fortress 2 and it does the same as it always has since he fiddled with the video settings!

OK simple question ......... where is the file/registry entry I need to change to get this to work?

Thanks
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Sorted ........ valve had the answer on their web site.

first run Steam then select the tab my game. Right click the game and choose properties. In properties choose the set launce options. In the text box at the end of the line (there wasn't any text in my text box so just type the following in:

<space>-autoconfig this should let 'steam' reset your settings to suit your system.

like here :

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-...opview=1#reset

Hope this helps others with similar problems.