Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM

No picture from monitor

So my computer was having an over heating problem and adding some of the Silver thermal compound has fixed that, but after i plugged everything back in and turned it on everything is working (Keyboard, mouse, mic, etc) except for the monitor.
I am 100% sure that its connected correctly and it has power. when the monitor is on theres an orange light on and when its receiving a signal from the computer it turns green, its fully connected and powered but the light stays orange and i get no picture on my monitor.

i have taken the graphics card out and put it back in and i have taken the processor out and put that back in. its strange because the moniter was working just fine before i put the new layer of thermal compound on it.

so im guessing the problem is around there, but ive tried what i can think of, if anyone else has any other ideas it would really be appreciated.
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Did you put the thermal compound on the CPU or on the graphics card? If you have a PCI-e card did you make sure to plug the power supply into it. Did you try another monitor to make sure it isn't the monitor?
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM

I put the thermal compound on the cpu and no i dont have a PCI-e card, I tried another monitor and it didnt work either.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Make sure that you have the video card in the right slot and that it is seated correctly. It has to be inserted far enough that the clip locks it in.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:41 PM

its in the only spot and i clicked it in TWICE for good measure....nothing...

taking a bat to this POS would feel pretty ****in good right about now...

it was working less then 24 hours ago...and it stops receiving after i put some ****in thermal coolant on it!?

BULL ****

what useless ****
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM

just to let you know if you put to much compound... that can hurt to.
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM

Could it be possible that the power supply is just worn out and not enough power is getting thru to create an image on the screen?

because it seems to be having a shaky time at getting started with 115V...Ill try turning it up and it wont stay on for longer then 2 sec.

should i try a new power supply? just buy a new cheap one off new egg or something?
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:33 AM

Keep the setting at 115V because if you change it and turn on your system you will ruin the PSU and possibly everything else in your case. Make sure you didn't put to much thermal compound on your CPU and you might have bent some of the pins on your CPU taking it out or putting it back in. Make sure none of the pins are bent.

Last edited by misterbadnback; August 27th, 2007 at 12:35 AM.
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:52 AM

well nothing is still working...idk if im going to have to buy a new CPU or what but ill have to do something...

ive checked and double checked everything...
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:55 AM

It might not be the CPU.
FIRST OFF Did you have the computer unplugged from the wall electrical receptacle? Make sure that you have it unplugged every time that you are working in the case doing anything! If you ended up switching the slider on the back of the PSU from 115V to 230/240V then you probably ruined your system. If not just make sure that there are no bent pins on your CPU (you will need a magnifying glass to really be able to see them) and that you put the recommended amount of thermal paste on it then install it and make sure that you have it in the right direction then lock it down with the arm.Then install the HSF. If you were working on carpet while doing any of this you better have had a grounding strap on your wrist, if not static electricity could ruin your components. Take the graphics card out of the slot and look into the slot. You will see little wires straight up and down in the slots. Now if any of the wires aren't straight like the rest of then you have to straighten them. Make sure you get them all straight like they are supposed to be. Once you do that take the graphics card and line in up with the slot make sure that when you are installing it that it goes straight down into it and that it latches. Make sure that you have all the power connections connected to the MB and disk drives and HD's. Make sure that ALL connections are tight and after you check and they are then try starting your system. If it starts with no problem and works forget about the rest.Just to see if it is your power supply make sure the slider in the back of the PSU is set on 115V, then disconnect the PSU connections from all your disk drives and even your hard drive just to see if you can press delete while starting it to see if you can get into the BIOS. If you can exit the BIOS and shut down the system. Unplug the system and connect the HD back up to the PSU. Then plug the PSU back in and start the computer to see if it will boot into windows.
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:10 AM

Im going follow this word for word, thank you, ill give an update when I can on what happens
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:20 AM

well i followed that to the best of my ability and im still getting no kind of picture coming onto my screen, it wouldnt even stay on for more then 10 sec.

im completely lost on where to go from here.

if anyone else has some other suggestions or knows *** is going on itd be very helpful.

thanks
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Did you remove your memory when you changed the thermal paste. If you did then make sure that the memory is seated correctly too. Make sure that the memory is in the slots that you removed them from. If you have 4 slots then if you have 2 sticks they should be in slots #1 and #3 or #2 and #4. If you take them out and reseat them make sure that the power is off to the computer and that you touch the metal in the case before touching them. If it still doesn't have anything on the monitor try just one stick of Ram in the #1 slot and try it.