Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:21 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Lots of files?

The computer that I am currently working with is a "freebie" from the company that I work for. It was originally used as part of a network in a retail environment. The trouble that I'm having is that I seem to keep maxiing out the space on it. I primarily use the computer for cruisin the web and playing (old) games (since it appears to be kinda outdated) and various spreadsheets, word docs, etc for work. However, when I do a scan on the computer (AVG) there are like 200,000+ files scanned. That seems like a lot of files to me. Is this a usual number of files or is it excessive. If it is excessive, how would I go about eliminating the useless files?
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:32 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
how big is the Hard Drive and how much space is taken up?
you should try to have around 15-25% free Space
but it really depends on the Operating system you are running
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:40 AM

Total Space: 18.5 GB Available Space: 4.65 GB

Old March 11th, 2007, 09:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
to reclaim space, run ccleaner and get rid of temporary files. Also go into add/remove and get rid of any programs you do not need nor use.
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:57 AM

I have done those things. I was more looking for a way to get rid of the files associated with the old owner but I'm not sure what they are. I know the pc was networked before and it doesn't need to be now. I just don't know where to begin to get rid of 270,000+ files but thanks for your help anyway.
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyj View Post
I have done those things. I was more looking for a way to get rid of the files associated with the old owner but I'm not sure what they are. I know the pc was networked before and it doesn't need to be now. I just don't know where to begin to get rid of 270,000+ files but thanks for your help anyway.

thats why you go to add/remove. Sounds like you really need to start fresh with a clean install of the operating system. We really cannot help you since we dont know what programs you are running, what programs you are needing and what files are on that computer.