Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:08 AM

USB ports and sound not working

My sound card and USB ports have stopped working. Device Manager doesn't show any problems. In Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, there is no sound card listed. There is no speaker in the system tray. In Control Panel under Sounds and Audio Devices, under the Volume tab it says “No Audio Device”. Under the Audio tab, Default it lists “Modem #0 Line Playback”. I don't know what to check for the USB ports, but they are listed in Device Manager. And I did look in the BIOS and they are enabled as far as I can tell. Please help!
Laura
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

What computer do you have?
Modem #0 Line Playback is sound on your modem. If we know what computer you have we can help you a lot easier.
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:38 AM

Ok. I don't know how much you need, but this is what I know. It's an eMachine T2484, 2.40 GHz Intel Celeron processor, Windowxs XP, 6 USB ports, 80 GB hard drive, CD-RW 40X, DVD 16X, 256 MB DDR. And I'm not sure about the sound card but I think it's AC 97 integrated sound???
Laura
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:52 AM
CTH Subscriber

That was enough. Emachine model number does it.
Okay, look in Device Manager, under Multimedia, is there any exclamation points, usually yellow in color, on any items?
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Banned

Sounds like the drivers for sound and usb got "whacked" by something. I am sure you have a driver cd why not just reinstall sound and usb. Have you done Windows updates regularly and are you on SP2?
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:18 PM

There is no Multimedia listed in Device Manager, but I looked in everything that is listed and there are no problems, no yellow exclamation points or red x's or anything. I do Windows updates regularly - automatically. To reinstall the sound and USB, I would do that from an emachine disc or a windows disc? I have a Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 disc, and a Restore CD for emachine Model T2484. There is a Drivers file on the emachine disc that has an Audio folder and a USB folder. But how do I actually reinstall them?
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Banned

Read to them and open them. Find the setup or install in those folders and click on them.
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

Some Emachines, place the driver setup.exe in a folder on your C: drive. Check under C:\Program files\Emachine

If not there you should find them on the recovery cd. If not there, you may have to download them from the web.

I've never seen any computer that didn't have multimedia of some kind in Device Manager.

Emachine downloads might help:
http://www.emachines.com/support/pro...es&model=T2484

Once you load that page, click on Downloads. It will take you to a page you can download your drivers.
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:32 AM

I reinstalled the sound drivers and that didn't work. I don't see a sound device listed in Device Manager.
The USB driver folder on the CD doesn't have an install or setup file.
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:08 AM
CTH Subscriber

If you are running XP it won't have a usb driver because that is included in XP SP1 and SP2. If the sound drivers are not working, it could be your onboard has broken. In that case, you need to install a new sound card in a PCI slot.
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

In Device Manager, you didn't see anything related to AC'97 codec? That would be your sound.
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:21 AM

I'm not sure I understand. Are the USB ports and sound card related? Is there any way to find out for sure about the sound card? I hate to buy a new one if it's not absolutely necessary. And then will the USB ports work?
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowman
I'm not sure I understand. Are the USB ports and sound card related? Is there any way to find out for sure about the sound card? I hate to buy a new one if it's not absolutely necessary. And then will the USB ports work?
No there is no relationship and you have found out it doesn't work,which is why you really have 2 alternatives. No sound or buy a sound card.
You have to understand, eMachines are amongst the absolute junkiest pc ever made and I am not saying this to be mean at all. Everwhere they can hide crap, they do and the motherboard, and the power supply, are amongst the worst offerrred in a pc anywhere. Why do you think they can sell at those prices? Onboard sound and onboard video is one of the ways a cheap maker will fool the buyer and save a buck, but the problem is when the onboard goes,and that happens often, you need to have enough pci slots to to add in and they usually give you only 3, one of which holds a modem most likely.
Old April 20th, 2006, 02:05 AM

Ok. So no sound or buy a sound card. But what about the USB ports? No hope there either? Nothing else to try?
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Did everyone give up on me? I still need help with the USB ports not working.
Please.