Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 7th, 2020, 06:42 PM

Cookie removal

No brand computer bought second hand. Athlon dual core 6000+. Windows 7 pro.

I used free Super Anti-Spyware which reported 700+ cookies on a sub-sub-subfolder that did not make its presence known on WinExplorer or another directory use program that I have. The folder was named Cookies but it would not show up when I expanded it or agreed to show system files.

While the Super Anti-Spyware ostensibly deleted the cookies on my command, I was left to wonder whether they were ever really there in the first place or whether the software is designed to entice you to buy the next version by way of fake news. It seemed very strange that it honed in a subfolder that could not be found any other way.

So is Super Anti-Spyware BS?
Old April 8th, 2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
or whether the software is designed to entice you to buy the next version by way of fake news.

is Super Anti-Spyware BS?
I have never found them to be deceitful in that manner.

Without knowing the full path for where that cookies folder was, it is hard to tell now what it was.

If me, I would clean again CCleaner and/or Windows own Disk Cleanup. And since second hand, I would make sure it is clean of malware.
Old April 10th, 2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Without knowing the full path for where that cookies folder was, it is hard to tell now what it was.
c:\users\*myname*\appdata\local\Google\chrome\user data\default\cookies

I can only expand on WinExplorer and another indexing program I use as far as the "default" subfolder whether or not I have set the program to show hidden files.

I wonder if there are other fully concealed folders in my index tree.

FWIW, I had 287 tracking cookies associated with Chrome even though I seldom use it and even though it has only been 72 hours since my last full purge of these things.
Old April 10th, 2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
FWIW, I had 287 tracking cookies associated with Chrome even though I seldom use it
How do you know they were "tracking" cookies? If you are going by SAS, that's just what they call them.

And FTR, most cookies are not real "tracking" cookies and most "tracking" cookies are not malicious. 99.9% of the time, cookies are good. And yes, it does not take long to have 100s or even 1000s downloaded on to our systems. And most of the time they do no harm. SAS just found 242 tracking cookies on my system. But it does say, "While not harmful...". And I note most are also for Chrome.

What you need to do is get this machine current either with W10 or Linux. Get a decent anti-malware solution. I use Windows Defender on all 6 of my W10 machines here. It's already built in and works fine. Then make sure you keep your OS and security programs current, and you make sure you have plenty of free disk space for the OS to operate freely in. Then last, make sure you are not "click-happy" on unsolicited links, popups, downloads and attachments.