Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 18th, 2001, 12:40 PM

this is nuts!

Darn strangest thing...on computer, hadn't ever opened up the program Outlook Express yet (no need) and accidently hit on icon in quick launch toolbar; it just barely had time to open before i was hitting it closed again. Okay, so i didn't think any more about it, no big deal...
right. it went crazy on me! first thing, every single document on my computer (from my docs) now has a twin, only its an ".eml" file and/or a ".nws" file (email and news) not only that but there is at least one of these little buggers in every single folder across the entire drive (guess it really wanted to share the wealth...) They refude to go away!! I've found them all thru search and deleted them all completely away, only to have them act like boomerangs and high-tail it right back to me. Thats not all...they've also invaded my startup..I've gone into msconfig like 10 times and unchecked the 2 or 3 .eml files that were there...oh, sure THOSE files will go away but 2 or 3 other .eml files will come and take their place! What the hell? Isn't this the act of a virus or something? Oh yeah, I almost forgot...2 icons on the desktop being created by this evil program, same story...delete, replace...killin me here! null
as if that wasn't enuf to finish me off...I am also suffering from problems with quickbooks. Everything is fine until you try to save an invoice...then it acts like a broken record, just blinking continuously like its trying to move on to the next page but just can't do it. I can save customer info, or payments etc, just not invoices! Are they in any way related to one another. unlikely i guess...
please someone enlighten me!!
Old December 18th, 2001, 01:08 PM

hi turbo24

first thing you want to do is go to housecall and do a virus scan
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

never heard of a virus doing that but it's very possible. housecall is free and it has all the latest virus patterns. it will give you the option to clean or delete the files and also give you other information on the virus and how to recover from it if possible.
it takes a little time the first time you do it but it's well worth it.
good luck
Old December 18th, 2001, 08:29 PM

yikes! apparently nimda (or however its spelled) has decided to live in the computer!! I ran the fix and it says that it no longer detects it but i'm still having problems! Why?
Old December 18th, 2001, 10:36 PM

did you run the fix EXACTLY as the instructions said ?
has to be run from dos.
you have to run housecall and clean the virus out.
1. Place the 3 files (fix_nimda.exe , slide.exe and slide.dat) in the same directory.
2. Open a Command Prompt (MS-DOS Prompt) and proceed to the directory where
the tool resides.
3. Run FIX_NIMDA.A.

[ 18 December 2001: Message edited by: Mr1drful ]
Old December 19th, 2001, 04:45 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
When I had nimba it took me about 2 days of running fixes to get rid of it.I downloaded 3 fix tools and ran then back-to-back-to-back. As I under stand it, the long the virus resides on your computer the worse it gets.
Old December 19th, 2001, 10:36 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
msconfig in Windows 98 is buggy. Are you keeping your virus programs updated? it could be now that your default e-mail program maybe outlook express. I wish i could help you more on this case, but i don't know that much about your problem. Sometimes it is hard to get rid of viruses. It may be time to format your pc. It should fix the problem.
Old December 20th, 2001, 11:50 AM

thanks for replys, unfortunately my virus definitions weren't up to date, (or actually not MINE, this was my work computer..) but they had some computer dude apparently fix it all up...though i don't know what he id exactly. (i'm not all that impressed with this guy. he ruined my friends computer and i helped to fix it...the fact that i know little about computers and he gets paid to work on them kinda worries me..) ANYWAYS, I also am wondering about the way it spreads. It is a big emailer virus but are we talking web-based accounts or only like outlook and things like that?