Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old August 26th, 2015, 11:15 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I run windows 7 ultimate but would prefer home premium

Windows Ultimate contains lots of features I don,t need can I drop down some how to Home Premium,this will gain me more space
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:42 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
NO, unless you have a DVD with Windows 7 Home on it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-editions.html

Difference:
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
You will have to purchase a full retail version of win7 home. You cannot use an upgrade disk nor are you eligible to use any oem disks.

as far as getting more space, I doubt it. Maybe a few megs but not really enough to justify changing os.
Old August 27th, 2015, 04:29 PM

If you need more space, your best option is to buy more space - that is, a bigger or second drive. If you have programs installed on your boot drive, go through Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall programs you installed but don't use. Also, use Windows Disk Cleanup to purge your system of clutter.

Do note that W10 will be coming to your system and should upgrade to it for better security. W7 is already more than 6 years old and support will end for it before too long. During the upgrade to W10, a Windows.old folder will be created on your system and it will take up quite a bit of space until a month has passed then so you should think seriously about increasing your capacity.

I agree with the others. Typically, Windows 7 installations have all the versions installed and depending on your license, various advanced features are just simply enabled. So even if you roll back to Windows 7 Home, you will not gain any significant disk space.
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:25 PM

I run windows 7 ultimate but would prefer home premium

Window 7 home premium is more features and tools
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Window 7 home premium is more features and tools
No it doesn't! I am not sure what your intent is here, with your first post on the site stating that.

Windows Home Premium has the fewer features and tools, which you would note if you followed Murf's link above, or you could verify yourself easily with a simple Google search: compare windows 7 versions.

Windows Professional has all the features of Home Premium, plus more. Then Enterprise & Ultimate have even more than Windows Professional.