Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM

Question Cannot Update Windows Error 80070005

Good morning. I have been trying to address issues with my internet connection for the past month through the Malware Removal Board. It seems, however, the issue is not Malware related.

About a month ago, I recognized that I did not have Virus Protection, even though my McAfee Subscription does not expire until 2012. I've tried to download it multiple times without success. Using Virtual Technician, I get an error that no McAfee products can be found on my computer. I contacted McAfee and they tried to update it remotely, but were unable to update my Windows, which they said was what was preventing McAfee from being downloaded. (Windows has not updated since May after a system restore was the only thing to get my computer working again.)

The error I get when trying to update is 80070005 when I try to use Windows update. When I use the troubleshooter for Windows update, I get a message that it has been fixed, but then I get an error that Javascript may not be installed on my computer.

For the past month, my internet has been so slow or non-responsive, that I can't work on it to get help to fix it. Geeksquad checked my router and speed of my internet connection, and helped me reconnect some cables. I thought it was fixed, but fast internet lasted only a few hours. Then all of a sudden last night, I get blazing fast internet again, even though all the lights are off on my modem. Believe me, the first thing I tried to do was update my Windows, but got the errors listed above. I use Ooma as well and my phone is working even without any lights on the modem. Very curious!

As always, thanks for any help and guidance you can give.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
The error I get when trying to update is 80070005 when I try to use Windows update. When I use the troubleshooter for Windows update, I get a message that it has been fixed, but then I get an error that Javascript may not be installed on my computer.
does your account have administrative privileges? If not you need to log off and log back in under the Admin account. Or, type lusrmgr.msc in the run box and check which group your user account belongs to.
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:03 AM

I typed in lusrmgr.msc, but computer said I can't use this command with Windows 7 Home Premium and must use the Accounts tool in Control panel. Under System Security, Windows Update, I have it set to where all users can install updates, but other than that, I wouldn't know what else to do. I am also logged in as the administrator.

Thanks.
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

I'm not familiar with Home premium, (I have the ultimate version, since it gives me more control and I'm the only one using this pc), Have you tried setting up a new user account (with administer privileges) and trying to update that way?
Old November 7th, 2011, 04:09 AM

Just tried that and it still didn't work. Same error message.
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Melissa 1410,

I just responded in your Malware thread. I haven't been able to be around this week, but haven't abandoned you. It sounds like registry and/or file permissions have been changed. Then you also have that odd modem issue That sounds like some kind of hardware problem.

Either way, fishing around in the registry can take quite a while. And in order to reset the Windows 7 Registry permissions back to defaults, a reinstall of Windows 7 is the only reliable way. Unlike previous Windows versions, the way permissions are reset is not just through an inf file. A lot of the permissions are assigned during system install.
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:46 AM

Okay. That sounds pretty scary. How do I do that? I have a Windows repair disk that I made for Windows 7 last year. Should I use that?
Old November 9th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Hi Melissa1410,

I went over your posts in the Malware Forum and noiticed some errors about DEll DataSAfe Local Backup noit completing successfully. When you got your Dell, did you pay for the upgrade to the datasafe program? I really don't want you to end up losing your personal files.

Once you're sure that you have backed up your files to another Disk, you can continue. Question. Did you use Dell Local Backup to create a factory restore disk?

You should have the option to restart into the recovery environment and use the Factory Partition to go back to day 1. However, it's a good idea to disconnect any hardware which didn't come originally with your system before the factory restore.

You added some information here too. You've been struggling with this system for quite a while now.

Quote:
Windows has not updated since May after a system restore was the only thing to get my computer working again.)

What happened back then? I'm beginning to wonder if this system has problems. My Dell came with a 2 year warranty. How about yours? If it's still under warranty and you continue to have issues with it, you should consider contacting Dell.