Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old August 11th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Suggestions for good gaming RAM?

Sorry if this is better suited to go under the Hardware section, but since this upgrade is for gaming, I figured it would be good here.

Now to the actual problem. I've been meaning to upgrade to 4GB of ram to get ready for the new Fall games that are coming out so I can try to run them as high as possible with a good frame rate, but I need a little advice as what to do.

Here are my system specs, anything else that would be of service just ask and I'll supply them:

mobo: P5N32-SLI-SE Deluxe
cpu: Intel core 2 extreme x6800 @ 2.93 ghz
current ram: Corsair XMS DDR2-800 (400 MHz)

So, my question to you guys out there, what are my options in terms of upgrading my RAM to possibly 4 GB? I'm not too constricted by price, but the Dominator really isn't in my price range. Brand does not concern me either, just looking for either 4 new sticks or 2 new sticks that will improve what I currently have.

I also just want to say, I found this site through Newegg, and so far I've found a lot of interesting things that I never really thought about before, since I'm somewhat of a newbie on the computer modding scene. Thanks in advance and kudos for a very good site/forums.
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

What operating system version are you using? 32bit or 64bit. Only 64bit will see all 4gb of whatever ram you install. 32bit will see up to 3.25gb.
Old August 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolady View Post
What operating system version are you using? 32bit or 64bit. Only 64bit will see all 4gb of whatever ram you install. 32bit will see up to 3.25gb.
Currently I have Windows XP 32bit.

However I have a copy of Vista Home Premium that I received a few months ago that I'm waiting for SP1 to be released and then will most likely install, so I'm using the idea that all 4 will be put to use in less than a few months. I figure I might as well just upgrade now while I'm not too short on money.
Old August 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM

what kind of video card are you using? also, 2 gigs is more than enough for most XP games, but with vista you will need more because vista uses around a gig just running normally. But, if you want to run the new DX10 line of games youll need Vista, and then if you want the 4 gigs, youll need a 64bit OS. Make sure the copy of Home premium is a 64 bit version if youre going to use it.
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

I think that's what I said cougar about having a 32bit OS, only 3.25gb will be recognized if OP only has Vista 32bit, or XP 32bit.
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar62 View Post
what kind of video card are you using? also, 2 gigs is more than enough for most XP games, but with vista you will need more because vista uses around a gig just running normally. But, if you want to run the new DX10 line of games youll need Vista, and then if you want the 4 gigs, youll need a 64bit OS. Make sure the copy of Home premium is a 64 bit version if youre going to use it.
I have a 8800 gtx. And yes, I'm pretty much trying to prepare for the DX10 games, which is one of the reasons I haven't installed my copy of vista yet. It is 64bit also.
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:00 AM

well then it looks like its a great setup! Newegg has great deals on DDR2 ram right now because many people are buying it for new games and Vista.
just install vista whenever youre ready, and it will all be good hopefully! just make sure to get the new updates for vista, theres a few performance packs out that just got released that i installed and my vista runs much faster and better. so yeah, good luck!
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM

I seriously doubt any games will be exclusively for vista and DX10 cards. Most likely they will all be playable, and very well so, with any other card and XP or any NT OS. I'm sure people probably take that fact for granted but some times others describe these games that use DX10 as something you absolutely have to have a 8000 series card and vista to play...

Codeguru
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:10 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If you want to play a game built for DX10 with it's designed graphics, then Vista and GF8 or similar ATI DX10 card would be in line..