Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 10th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Problem playing games

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.00GHz (stock 1.8GHz)
RAM: 2x512 Corsair XMS DDR400 PC3200
Mobo: MSI K8T Neo2-FIR (MS-6702E)
Video: ATi Radeon 9800 Pro w/ latest drivers (Everest reports the core as R360 but ATITool says R350 but it has no Temp sensor so it's R350 I assume)

The RAM is very new (just installed it 2 days ago), and I overclocked for the first time (with help from an experienced friend) the next day.

Before the new RAM (I had 1GB of crappy Kingston value stuff), I couldn't play games like UT2k4 or Counter-Strike: Source because after a few minutes, the video would freeze and the sound from the last second it worked would loop over and over. The only solution would be to hold the power button and restart. I could still Counter-Strike 1.6 though, which I prefer over Source anyways. I had no idea what was causing the problem, and I was always trying to figure out what it was.

Now, however, I cannot even play 1.6 for more than 5-10 minutes without it doing the same thing. My system runs stable (ran Prime95 all day while I was out), so I don't know what could be causing the problem? Insufficient cooling somewhere? The overclocking?

Also, sort of related, running 3DMark06 video tests gives me (on average) 3-4 fps. Something HAS to be wrong here.
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi there,
My first thoughts would be either a heat issue or a failing graphics card. Although it (9800 Pro) is/was a damn good card, it's getting long in the tooth now.

Try the easiest option first, which is to run the rig with the side panel off to see if there's an improvement.
Disable all un-neccessary background programmes adn see if that makes an improvement too.

Another option is to change the drivers (different drivers do make a difference, especially with benchmarking programmes like 3D Mark03 etc ). Also, there are a few changes you can make in the Catalyst set-up as below;

Open up the ATI Control Panel.
Once opened up, click on the SMARTGART Tab and put the dot in 'Fast Write Off' and make sure the AGP setting is 8x.
Now click on the VPU Recover Tab and take the check out of the 'Enable VPU Recover' box.
Finally, on the Troubleshoot tab, take the check out of 'Enable write-combining.'
Click Apply > OK and you will be prompted to re-boot.

Bear in mind that 3D Mark06 is designed for the latest and greatest. Any shortcomings in your hardware will be exposed. What was your score (in marks) at the end of the test?
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:08 PM

I've been running my box with the case off since my upgrade, I don't see anything wrong. My 9800 Pro heatsink isn't even that warm at all when I touch it while it's running, but I can see and feel the fan working, both things my friend told me to check for.

I'll have to reinstall ATI Catalyst Control Center, last night I uninstalled my current ATI drivers (with the official uninstall app) and installed just the drivers. And, I never let the 3dMark06 tests finish, I didn't want to watch the jumpy 3fps action any longer.

Thanks for these tips though, I'll see what I can do when I get home.
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM

dohray: I re-installed Catalyst and made those changes and now I can play Counter-Strike 1.6 without the freezing thing. However, I tried to play Counter-Strike: Source and it froze like 5 seconds into the Video Stress Test. It's even frozen in the game MENU, before I ever actually play.

Could it be something like a DirectX glitch somewhere? I set the Hardware DirectX level to 8.1 but the Software is still at 9.0.

Also, is there any diagnostic app out there that I can run to help solve my problem? Or another benchmarking app besides 3DMark06?

Edit: I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I've always wondered what it is. In Device Manager, under Display Adapters, I have to video cards listed: RADEON 9800 PRO and RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary, and it's been like that forever. What is causing this?

Last edited by synth7; February 11th, 2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:24 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
you better of increased the clock multipliers only when overclocking
If you have overclocked by increasing FSB
you better have set the clock dividers for AGP and PCI properly, otherwise any PCI cards, Graphics cards will not like the increased speeds, heating up or crashing
If increasing by FSB DDR400 RAM tries to keep up with the FSB, thus heating it up or forcing it to go faster thus crashing, what you saw on the kingston value RAM
Im thinking the RAM is causing your problems
If you increased your FSB declock now!
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Is there a way I can overclock my FSB and let the video card and RAM stay the same? My motherboard seems to be a pretty low-end part, so I can't set the FSB back to stock and increase the multiplier for a better speed.
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:00 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
put it back down to the stock FSB, check if you can set the PCI and AGP ratios