Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:05 PM

firefox tips and tweaks has no effect

i try the tips and tweaks (firefox) from mozilla.org follow everything
they said but it has no effect on the settings of my browser , it remains
default i created the script which java for user.js and put in the profiles
folder and restart firefox then my browser remain default is there any suggestions that i will able to use that tips and tweaking

thanks
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what browser do you want to be default?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:46 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

You may want to tell what you have tried?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:28 AM

i try this tip and tricks but it has no effects
to firefox it remain default

here's i try to customize firefox

Reveal More Tab/Window Options
There are some hidden options for the Tabbed Browsing that will allow you to force links that open new windows to open in the current or a new tab. First, add the following code to your user.js

file: // Reveal more tab/window option user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" , true);
Use error pages instead of dialog messagesBy default, Firefox displays annoying error messages if a connection fails, instead of quietly displaying the error information in the browser window as Internet Explorer does.

To turn off the error messages and use pages instead, add the following code to your user.js

file: // Instead of annoying error dialog messages, display pages:user_pref("browser.xul.error_pages.enabled", true); Note that this feature is still a bit buggy as it removes the last visited page from the Back button history.

Change the search mode in the address fieldBy default, if you enter a search term in the address field and press Enter, a Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" search is performed, and you're taken to the first result of that search directly. If you prefer to see the standard search result list instead, add the following code to your user.js

file: // Change to normal Google search: user_pref("keyword.URL", "http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q="); Of course, you could also change to a completely different search engine by changing the string to something else. The default search string is: "http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&q=".

Specify where to store the cacheTo specify in which folder the cache is stored, add the following code to your user.js

file: // Path to Cache folder: user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory","C :\\Path To Cache"); Remember to use two backslashes for the path separators if you're using Windows, e.g. C:\\Path\\Path To Cache instead of C:\Path\Path To Cache.

Specify the memory cache usageNormally, Firefox determines the memory cache usage dynamically based on the amount of available memory. To specify a specific amount of memory cache, add the following code to your user.js

file: // Specify the amount of memory cache: // -1 = determine dynamically (default), 0 = none, n = memory capacity in kilobytes user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 4096); and others

how can i customize firefox
tips and sugesstions !!!

thanks

Last edited by zack_rage; December 2nd, 2004 at 06:42 AM.