Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM

usb failing

I only have 2 usb connections on my pc that I use, printer and wireless mouse/keyboard.
after a few weeks (just built a new PC for my parents) of use the printer and keyboard/mouse stopped working so I moved the usb connections to the front ports and they worked, a couple days later those connections stopped working so I moved the plugs to the last 2 available usb ports, they worked and still worked after a few restarts, next day they stopped. Now none of my usb ports work. I gonna reset my MB and see if that works, but i'd like to know the cause, I don't know if resetting the MB will work. The usb ports only stopped working after I used them. nothing plugged into them works.
printer-hp officejet 6500 wireless
keyboard/mouse- logitech ex 100
motherboard- model no. MS-7623 - 760GM-P33
cpu- AMD Phenom II X4 840 Quad Core
gpu- ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB
ram- 2x Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 Vengeance 4GB DDR3 RAM - PC12800, 1600MHz, 1x4096MB, Non-ECC, Unbuffered
power- 350 Watt Power Supply
optical drive- Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner
hdd- WD Caviar 320GB SATA-3G HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
os- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English

Last edited by Zer0Saber; August 2nd, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:10 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Although USB do not take much power, and may not be the problem but with that system the 350w power supply is not sufficient. That video card has a recommended minimum 400w, although, as you see it does run, but may not be suppling enough power when using different devices.

Also, if you quickly and repeatedly insert and remove a USB device, the USB port may stop responding. When the port is in this state, it no longer recognizes any USB device, and the USB device will not work

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
  2. Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
  3. In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
  4. Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
  5. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.
Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
  2. Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
  3. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
  4. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
  5. Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  6. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
  7. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM

well, after unplugging everything my power supply completely failed. tested with a different one and the usb use came back, so the power supply was shot. newegg has a recomended power supply tool that i punched in all the hardware and it said 350, but I bet your right. i already ordered a replacement 350, but i plan to get 400. also, would it be safe to get a 450?(the device manager was the first thing i tried before disconnecting the powersupply, i know the PS now was the issue but it's just wield how the went out shortly after plugging something in then never comming back even after rebooting.)

Last edited by Zer0Saber; August 5th, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:36 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Anything above 400w will certainly work. The recommendation of minimum 400w for that card is dependent upon other devices in the system. The price difference between a 400w and a 600w is insignificant and worth the extra for the extra power.

Example: Between a decent 400W and 575W

COOLMAX CA-400 400W ATX v2.01 Power Supply -$21.99

LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK 575W ATX12V - $24.99

I don't believe that Video Card needs a PCIe power cable. But if your going to get a new Power Supply I would get one that has one, in case you upgrade the video card later and it is required.

I would also get one that has the highest amperage on the +12v rail, as this is what powers the video card.

If you look at the Logisys one above for an example it has:

+3.3V@38A, +5V@40A, +12V@25A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.0A

+12V @ 25A is the important one.

Also depends on your budget...