Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM

Digital Monitors or Analog - Video card use

Hi there,

I don't have an actual problem but I just wanted to get and experts opinion on multiple monitors.

This is my computer:

Vostro 230 Mini-Tower
Processor Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core E6500 w/ VT (2.93GHZ, 2MB L2,
Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz - 2DIMMs
Video Card 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® G310 (DVI + VGA + HDMI)
Hard Drive 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

For the past few months, I have been running the computer with two monitors (extended desktop) with one monitor using a VGA cable and one monitor using a DVI cable (meaning one is digital one is analog). This worked perfect. No slow video card response or anything BUT the monitor plugged with the VGA was slightly more blurry then the DVI one (Text isn't as crisp).

I'm a perfectionist maybe even with a little OCD so I just went out an bought a HDMI to DVI cable (my monitors don't have a HDMI plug) and got rid of the VGA cable so I'm now (as of today) running a monitor with DVI to DVI and one with DVI to HDMI. This solved the slight blurring issue.

My question:

Is there a way that running two monitors on digital could slow down graphics performance instead of running one analog and one digital? (Considering I don't have the best video card in the world)

Should I do a few tests to make sure? I would rather have a little less crisp text then to have slower video performance.

Please also note that I don't play any games at all.... I do watch movies and a lot of Youtube though...

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Is there a way that running two monitors on digital could slow down graphics performance instead of running one analog and one digital?
Actually the performance should be a bit better, since the graphics card doesn't have to convert the digital signal to analog anymore.