Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old January 28th, 2015, 04:08 PM

network connection says no internet access

I have three users on a domain all connected to the same Cisco switch with many other users. When these 3 users turn on their laptop every morning, their network connection says no internet access for about ten minutes then they get connected after that and they are good for the rest of the day. If they switch to wireless they connect instantly but when they go back to wired it takes about ten minutes for the connection to say internet access. I can do a ipconfig/renew and they will connectly quickly. Its strange that all 3 sit next to each other. I have tested the wiring with a cable tester and the wiring checks good. This all started when they replaced the ceiling tiles above them. So I thought the wiring may have been damaged but all three test perfect. So I am at a loss here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:06 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Do the 3 computers Cat5/6 cable all routed through the same place, maybe through the ceiling? Are the cables, if going through the ceiling encased?

Have you physically checked the cable above the ceiling if this is the case?
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:35 PM

The cables are tied together at places with a cable tie. I checked and you can slide the cable inside of of the cable tie so its not so tight that it is crimping the cables. If the cables test good with a cable tester, could it still be an issue with the cables?

Last edited by bubbanm; January 29th, 2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old January 29th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Since you tested the cables, and because cable faults are not aware of the time of day, I don't see this a cable problem or they would have connection problems throughout the day and you would see collisions and other network issues.

It is odd, however, the problems with all 3 started at the same time.

My guess is they connect via Ethernet when they get home and are receiving a different IP address. And I bet if they don't connect these laptops to their home or another network after they leave work, they will have no problem connecting there in the morning. Wireless uses a different adapter and likely is already setup for the various networks they regularly connect to, so that makes sense.

Can you move them to a different port on the Cisco? Or have to try to connect from a different point across the office?

Does it matter which of the 3 tries to connect first?
Old February 4th, 2015, 04:32 AM
F0RMER M0DERATOR

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Check your DHCP server settings. Also, if the Cisco switch is a "Managed" switch, check those settings as well.
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:20 PM

I am at a loss here. I cut all cable ties to be sure it was not being crimped. I tried different ports on the switched. It is a managed switch and the settings are the same on all ports. Other users in the office with the same model laptops are not having issues. Two of the users never undock their laptops. The other user takes his laptop to our other office and connects there with no issues. The ip and dns are all set to automatic. Even though the wiring test good i guess I just need to run new wires to the users.
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:22 PM

The funny thing is that after 10 to 15 minutes they can switch from wireless to wired and work the rest of the day wired with no issues.
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:28 PM

OK the saga continues. This morning I ran a cable directly to one of the users from a port on the switch to their docking station. After the laptop booted up it took 6 minutes for the network to connect. So it can't be the wiring. I was about to run new wires to their desk. Could it be the Trend Micro antivirus? It is strange that all three sit beside each other.
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
So it can't be the wiring
No surprise there. As noted above, if a cable problem, they would have connection problems throughout the day and you would see collisions and other network issues.

Are all three using Trend Micro? And is no one else? And again, what if they swap temporarily with someone across the room?

Does your router or switch settings limit the number of simultaneous connections?
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:15 AM
F0RMER M0DERATOR

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Could it be the Trend Micro antivirus?
Anything is possible, but, I think not.

Quote:
This morning I ran a cable directly to one of the users from a port on the switch to their docking station. After the laptop booted up it took 6 minutes for the network to connect.
This is still to long, after my desktop is ready it takes about 3 seconds to aquire an address using a wireless NIC.

Start the computers in safe mode with networking.
Is the problem resolved?

If yes, the issue is software related. Shut down startup programs until you find the offender...Go from there.

If no, I would bet the issue is with the DHCP server.
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:25 PM

It appears to have been a software issue. I re-imaged the laptops and they connect immediately now. Thanks!!!
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:47 PM

Well, that is a drastic measure but I am glad it worked. Thanks for the followup.