Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:24 PM

Question Wireless hotspot for coffee shop.

Hello, I want to install a wireless hotspot in a coffee shop and my question is how would i go abouts on doing this, What software/hardware would i need? and what ISP services would be reliable on this.
Thank You.
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:08 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
If you want this to be a wide open hot spot that anyone within range can hit then all you "really" need is a wi-fi router. You can set it up with a computer then unplug the computer from it or just leave a computer connected to it at all times. I personally thing its best to have a computer connected to it at all times for firmware updates and config changes, plus you can look into router logs and such to make sure no one is abusing your connection. Any cable ISP or DSL provider should be ok as long as this is a smallish network. For example if you want 100 or more people connected at once and all day long you might go with business class cable but for say 30 people or less on and off all day a 3mb connection would be fine. Again this is a wide open network layout so if you want to use some security then thats another story.
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Hey thank you for the response, do you have any suggestions on wifi kits? what one should i get and if you know how to set it up and to configure it? if you would have a website on this that would be great! thank you so much.