Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Rampant Rabbit

Guns. Do you own one?

I'm just watching a prog on telly about the Hungerford massacre which occurred here in the UK in 1987. Since then gun laws have been changed dramatically here...I was just wondering how many of the members here own one... and what their thoughts are on the subject?
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I aint going to say, don't want to be on record but I do think everyone needs to own some sort of weapon for self preservation. I do want to keep the privilege of owning the gun of my choosing without interference from any outside sources wheither it be government or some self righteous group.
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:18 PM

O/S: MacOS
I don't personally own one anymore. I used to have a sexy little .22 Revolver that looked like a cap gun, a .22 semi-automatic rifle and a .38 Revolver. The rifle was legal, the other two....

In the US at least, the right to bear arms is a constitutional right, and I agree with it. If for not other reason, if the average Joe's right is taken away, do you think that is going to stop criminals from arming themselves? No. Odds are criminals now don't legally own the guns they use so the playing field needs to be kept level. And if the criminals are using legally purchased guns.... well, they're idiots b/c it's too easy to track.
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:36 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I live out in the country and just about everyone has a gun/guns for hunting and taking care of the home front. It makes the criminals think twice before they come to you home to steal or what ever.
The right to bear arms is a constitutional right and it is a "GOOD" right.
Sad to say to many toads have guns too so that is why you sould have many guns!
It is not the gun that will hurt/kill but the toad behind the gun that points and shoots the thing.
This is what you get if you come to my home to do harm and have a happy day!

Last edited by DELTREE; December 7th, 2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Rampant Rabbit

I thought the US would jump in first! It would be interesting to see what the rest of the world thought..including the UK /far east / southern hemisphere

Quote:
The right to bear arms is a constitutional right and it is a "GOOD" right.
I agree... unfortunatly it is as hard as hell here to own a gun these days... legally that is.. I used to own a few in my early years.. shotguns etc. But even 30 years ago it was difficult to own a gun that shot bullets... you had to be a member of a shooting club.. and had to prove safe storage of the weapon etc etc etc.

If you happen to shoot some towrag with a legally owned firearm here.. for breaking into your home for whatever purpose... you are likely to be treated like a criminal... and be banged up.
In fact it has happened. Makes my blood boil!!

By the way on a lighter note... I saw a brilliant sign on a house which said "This house is guarded by a shotgun 3 nights a week.... you guess which 3"

Last edited by dammit; December 8th, 2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Banned

Angry

Guns don't kill people. People kill people with guns.
Or Guns don't kill people.....bullets kill people.
If guns are outlawed for the good people, then only the bad people will have guns. Too many bad guys and too few cops, all with guns, make this a dangerous place to live.
I have a gun. If someone is breaking into my house, day or night, and I'm home, I have to drag the dead person into my house before I call the cops. Go figure.
BD

Protected By Smith & Wesson

Last edited by Bad Dog; December 8th, 2004 at 12:35 AM.
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:51 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Wink

You've got the right philosophy. Statistically, places where law-abiding citizens are permitted to own and carry firearms have a dramatically low crime rate. The complete opposite is true for places where it's almost impossible for a law-abiding citizen to carry a firearm for self-defense. Washington, DC and New York City come readily to mind
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I have an unlicenced pea shooter, does this count?
Old December 8th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Shotgun, rifle, 5 handguns of various calibers. Fun, fun, fun!
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:06 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Not sure, I would have to open the gun closet and count them. Three lying on my bed in need of cleaning at this moment. Plus the standard house 12gage under the bed in need of having the dust bunnies removed. Tow on top of the kitchen cabinet. Etc.
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
No I don't own one. Probably just as well, because in my younger days, before age mellowed me, I had a pretty short fuse. Who know what might have happened if I was able to get my hands on a gun in one of those moments of madness.

I have a friend who owned one, many years ago his child, then under ten years, took the 'unloaded gun' and blew half his brothers hand off.

Some years ago here in Australia a crazed gunman played sniper with a large group of tourists and killed over 40 of them. There were around 1000 people in the place that day and using the Australian gun lobby's own figures over 50 of them were gun owners. But not one had his gun with him. This tells me that owning a gun for self protection just doesn't wash. You would need it with you at all times loaded, cocked and be constantly on your guard.

Who wants to live like that? How many trigger happy mistakes would be made?

The whole world would be a much safer place if gun owning were completely banned.

Perhaps the right to bare arms (sic) should be interpreted as meaning, the right to go around wearing tank tops. BF
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Quote:
The whole world would be a much safer place if gun owning were completely banned.
My father owned guns most of his life. Did his own reloads, etc. He loved to shoot (local gun clubs, etc.), and won a few competitions as well. But he never shot anything living, people or animals. Wasn't a hunter. I'm not either.

People get killed by cars almost everyday. It's terribly sad, but car ownership shouldn't be banned because of it.
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:07 PM

i dont own anyguns tho do have 4 rocket launchers 1 tank and some claymores!!0o0o0o0o0o
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Banned

Hey BF,
"But not one had his gun with him. This tells me that owning a gun for self protection just doesn't wash. You would need it with you at all times loaded, cocked and be constantly on your guard."
This isn't the wild west and I would never suggest everyone carry a concealed or open gun while out in public. The mass killing you mentioned are rare. This is what the police are for. But the police can not stand guard at my home. Home burglaries are high. If you are not home, all you lose is property that can be replaced. If you are home, a number 1 wood is no match for an armed robbery/burglary and the chances of getting yourself and family hurt are high.

My son lives in Leroy, Al, a little hick bump in the road about 60 miles north of Mobile, Al. Everyone owns guns. Percent of home invasions..0%.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong. Gun control is a big issue and one that, as with everything else, is usually split down the middle.
Have a good'n.
BD
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:19 PM

This is kinda remotely on topic so, Anyone ever heard of the Winchester Curse?