Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Copying documents and pasting to Wordpad that that comes up encrypted

Hello everybody,
I have got myself a new computer last year. I have a Dell Vista home premium edition. And up until now I have had no problems.
I had been trying to copying documents from my scanner and pasting them to WordPad or Windows works word processor. On the WordPad when I paste it comes up encrypted. On the Windows works word processing. When I paste from the scan it stays in cropping. Can someone tell me why or how to correct it.
Thank you for your time.
Michael

Last edited by mel3986; June 26th, 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Missing word
Old June 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
You are probably scanning the documents in as pictures...bmp or jpg, most likely. Since WordPad can't display pictures, it shows you code. Word shows you the picture but, of course, it's not editable as a document, only as a picture.

If you want to scan them in as documents with text, you need to use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. Most scanners come with some sort of OCR program included in the CD that come with the scanner that you install on the computer.

Then, when scanning, you have to use the OCR software.

Keep in mind that even the best OCR programs (which can cost hundreds of dollars), can make mistakes. The more formatting in the document...like in an application with lines and boxes or a paper with footnotes...the more mistakes the software makes.

Documents with ink smudges, creased paper, stains and photocopies with streaks or light areas give OCR programs trouble since they are designed to try to render everything on the scan into some sort of text.
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thank you for answering so quickly. After reading what you said. I reinstall the scanner software and it seems to work for you. Well thank you again.