Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:54 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Activation files missing

Hi I am reinstalling windows xp pro onto a computer and the windows product code on the desk-top frame did not work when asked to install... I by-passed this using an old product code that I had and it worked... My problem is the activation files are missing and Ican't change the product code to the correct one on the dest-top frame. WPAEvents files are missing is there anywhere I can download these and reinstall them or can I download a clean copy of windows xp pro with all files and do a fresh reinstall. ??

P.S. windows version is 32 bit
Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
The product key on the desktop frame applies only to the version of Windows that was originally pre-installed on it at the factory. It isn't valid for installing Windows on it from a retail CD (plus, the CD is probably a different Windows XP edition anyway, another reason why the product key isn't valid.

You need to find the product key issued with CD, or purchase another XP Pro licence from Microsoft (or buy another retail CD supplied with a key, from a small computer shop. Big computer stores don't carry XP any more).
Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you need to activate legally by going through microsoft. you cannot legally download winxp pro or any activation files.