Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Changed HDD from Fat32 to NTFS, now I can't save changes to files!

Okay, so I have gotten into video editing and recently made a huge family video. . . it was over 4 gigabytes in size so when I tried to transfer it to my external hard drive which was formatted with Fat32 it said it couldn't do it because it was over the 4 gigabyte single file limit. So, I transferred all of my stuff onto my OTHER external hard drive, formatted the FAT32 hard drive with NTFS and transferred everything back to it. Now I can't save any changes to any text documents, word documents. . . and I'm sure the problem will run deeper. I'm guessing that it has something to do with me switching the Filing system from FAT32 to NTFS, but my I don't have enough knowledge about the matter to fix this. That's where you guys come into the picture! What do I need to do to be able to edit/save all my text docs, word, docs, etc. I can make new files, edit and save them, I just can't edit and SAVE any documents created before the FAT32-NTFS format switch. Help me out. Thank you!
P.S. I posted below the typical message I get when I edit a file and then try to save it.
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM

O/S: MacOS
Right click on any file that is saved in your eHDD and click on properties. Is it locked or protected?
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchalla90 View Post
Right click on any file that is saved in your eHDD and click on properties. Is it locked or protected?
Thank you very much for your reply. I just took screen shots to show you exactly what I see when I right click...say...a .txt file and click properties. The 2nd picture is if I got into Advanced from the Properties window. I don't see anything about being protected, etc. though?

Old September 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Weird Read Only problem. . .

Okay, so the two pics I posted before this contained detailed screenshots of the settings when I click on individual files. I checked out the actual folders that contain those files and they all have the Read-only attribute. I don't and have never needed anything to be read only, so what did I do? I went to the ROOT folder on my external HDD (which contains all files and folders) right clicked it, clicked properties, and IT has the Read-only attribute assigned to it. Easy fix right? Just uncheck it and apply that to all subfolders and files. No matter how many times I uncheck the Read-only attribute it reapplies itself.

Here is a picture of my root folder's properties on my external HDD.

And this picture is of what is selected if I click the "advanced" button (just incase that is relevant).

So the Read-only attribute keeps reapplying itself whether or not I restart or not and YES, I am doing all of this on the administrator account.

Here is something funny though! I have three accounts; 1 Admin, and 2 Limited accounts. If I try to open up any documents and save them while on the Admin account, they will save. But if I try to do the same thing on the 2 limited accounts, the files won't save. This won't work for me because my wife and I primarily use our limited accounts. I created them so that I am not always on the Administrator account vulnerable to the viruses and crap out there. So I need them to open up on the limited accounts as well. This is a ridiculously annoying (most likely) easy problem. I just can't figure out why the Read-only attribute won't go the heck away! Any idea's guys? Goin crazy here. . .
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The Read Only attribute is common to all folders. It's normal, it can't be changed and it has no effect on the contents of the folder.

You will need to use the Administrator account to give permission to the other accounts to access the files. Instructions are in this Microsoft article.
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
The Read Only attribute is common to all folders. It's normal, it can't be changed and it has no effect on the contents of the folder.

You will need to use the Administrator account to give permission to the other accounts to access the files. Instructions are in this Microsoft article.
Worked like a charm. Thank you very much Miz! You solved my problem. Hey, for general knowledge though, when can I tell if files are actually read only? Because although the folders are still marked read-only the files do not have that attribute. So, in the future if I see a folder marked Read-only, besides testing individual files within the folder, can I tell if the files are indeed read-only or if it is just marked that way......do you understand? Having a hard time saying what I am thinking. haha
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:37 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Since Windows, for reasons someone else will have to explain because I can't, marks all folders as "read only," I work on the assumption that the files within are not read only. So, yes, as far as I know, you'd have to check each file.

The exceptions are files on CDs. They, of course, will be read only (unless you copy them to the hard drive and change that attribute).
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
Since Windows, for reasons someone else will have to explain because I can't, marks all folders as "read only," I work on the assumption that the files within are not read only. So, yes, as far as I know, you'd have to check each file.

The exceptions are files on CDs. They, of course, will be read only (unless you copy them to the hard drive and change that attribute).
Cool. Thanks for explaining that. I guess that's all you really need to know anyway. heh I appreciate your help!