Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 6th, 2003, 07:13 PM

Help and Support Center

Hi. I have 2 problems with Help and Support Center (the help page/screen for Control Panel and Windows Explorer).

First, when I click on 'Index' at the toolbar on top of Help and Support Center, the left part of the page is blank. There is no index.

Second, when I click on a link, nothing happens. For example, on the Change Your Password page, item# 1. states ... Open 'User Accounts' in Control Panel ... 'User Accounts' is underlined and in blue. So, that's a link right? If I click on it, the User Accounts page should open but it doesn't. And, it's the same for all other links.

Are the two problems related? Is there one fix for both? Help.
Old June 6th, 2003, 11:49 PM

Could it be that your help files have been erased, or moved (broken link)?

Also with winxp it also does help and support across the internet,
check to see if this is what its doing and if you need to be connected to the internet..

Someone with more exp should be able to help you better.
Old June 7th, 2003, 02:54 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi hencab - a couple of options to try that were posted by TonyKlein:

"Try running this script:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...xwinxphelp.htm

If no joy, go to Start > Run, paste the bold into the box and click OK:

helpctr -regserver (there's a space following 'helpctr' )

Also run this one:

regsvr32 jscript.dll
You ought to get a "registration succeeded" message."

If none of the above work, try reinstalling Help and Support. Have your WinXP Installation CD handy (if WinXP was preinstalled on your PC, the files that you need should already be on your PC).

Firstly, make sure that your can view all hidden files and folders (open My Computer and click on Tools > Folder Options. Click on the View Tab, scroll down and check "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then click on "Apply to All Folders") then open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf.

When you find this file, put your WinXP installation CD in the CD ROM Drive, right click and choose install.

If WinXP was preinstalled, you will get a "Files Needed" dialogue box telling you to type the path where the file is located, type:

C:\WINDOWS\i386

and then OK. If you are asked to you want to replace a newer file, click NO. NB If it doesnt work when you type the path, click on the Browse key and navigate to C:\Windows\i386 just like you would in Windows Explorer.

If you have installed Service Pack 1, the installation will halt and look for hscupd.exe. Type:

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

and then OK or Browse as suggested. When the installation is complete, reboot and let us know if this helped.
Old June 7th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Thank you all for posting replies. Chris from Woody's Lounge (another forum) helped me solve the problem. His post was:

I think that you may find that the culprit is the April 2003 Cumulative Patch for IE6 SP1, (Q813489) from Microsoft. I had the same problem, and removing this patch solved the problem.

Once again proved the maxim that installing MS updates is a risky business!

Chris

Chris's suggestion did solve the problem. Thanks a lot again for posting replies. I appreciate it.
Old June 7th, 2003, 05:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I am pleased that your problem is resolved hencab and thank you very much for posting back the fix.