Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:38 AM

Extremely Slow Wireless Internet Connection

I've had a wireless internet connection for almost an year now. Every once in a while, it would loose connection for a while, but then reconnect. However, just recently, the same thing happened and it wouldn't connect. I went to my router config and restored it back to its original configuration and set up new passwords etc. I did the same to my wireless adapter on my other computer and first it started out saying that I had limited connectivity. I resolved this issue after a while and now it should be connected regularly. However, now, it takes an extrememly long time to load a regular web page like google. My instant messengers loose connections often and takes a while to sign back on. My internet is not slow at all on my wired computer and seems to be at standard speed. Please help me resolve this issue. Thank you.
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:21 AM

ok.. nvm. Something new happened now. I replugged my usb wireless adapter back in and now it just says limited connectivity again. I tried resolving this by removing all the security stuff and just connecting to it, but it would still say limited connectivity. Please help.
Old April 12th, 2006, 07:29 AM

That happens to me alot if my signal is low to the modem (Which is often cause i have a "MINI" usb adapter now which kinda sucks)

Dont routers suck?????? Anything wireless is pretty worthless i think..... Ya get a good signal in 1 spot,then it changes and your signal is lousy unless you reposition it

Good luck!!

Last edited by The Dude; April 13th, 2006 at 05:48 AM.
Old April 12th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Wireless router should be a last resort if you cannot cable your PC. Same as mine. I sometimes seen my wireless LAN reconnecting itself. I am just 3 feet away from the access point, Line of Sight has no obstruction.

@ compnoobie
If it is applicable , try to connect to a different access point and check if you got the same speed. also check your DHCP if it is up and running. Also try using different USB Wifi Adaptor. Just a matter of Isolation of Problem.
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Well the fact is that its been running perfectly for almost an year now. The signal is great near 90% but I just cant seem to connect to the internet.
Old April 13th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogski
I sometimes seen my wireless LAN reconnecting itself. I am just 3 feet away from the access point, Line of Sight has no obstruction.
I cant believe you keep losing connection @ only 3ft!!!!! (Thats unreal!!)

YES,using a router/adapter should be the last resort!!! (They are crap)
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I dunno I use Broadcom internal , Dlink 634G External, Airlink 101 11g External PCMCIA, and Atheros Wireless internal Cards on 4 different laptops combined with Dlink Di-624 with a 1.5Miles Db Gain Hawks Technologies antenna, I never loose signal (even at my barn 600ft away) and I play online gamming all the time one it without a single hicpuc and I am on a 30ft tower WISP to top the wireless technology connectivity at the farmhouse...

its not the technology, its the hardware your using to enable that technology that is at fault. (grin) yeah yeah I know I am causing ripples...

seriously though.. I would suggest adding a 7-12db gain antenna on your routers and you will find alot of your problems go away

also if you only use 11g, then disabling your 11b will permit the router to concentrate on one signal instead of a broadband range of signals.

cheers

Last edited by Patrick Bureau; April 14th, 2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
If you have LAN connection but can't seem to load any pages from the WAN or internet side then it might be a dns issue. If you use windows 2k or xp try going to a command promt. Start/Run in the run box type cmd and hit enter. A black box will pop up at the flashing promt type ping google.com and see it it will even ping a domain name. Alot of times with a wi-fi connection if the connection drops the dhcp info for wilreless clients will hang in the router. Not all routers do this but I have seen it happen before. When it does happen I can get the connection working again by logging into the router and clearning the wirless client info or dhcp pool then release/renew the wireless adapters ip address.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:41 AM

My problem was ok for about a week and now it died again. I can connect to any other wireless signal perfectly. But when trying to connect to my signal, it has the limited connectivity sign again. I tried removing all security WEP codes and it still had the same result. Please help again..
Old April 24th, 2006, 12:39 AM

By the way, does the fact that it is a Westell 327W matter. I've heard it has some problems.
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:18 AM

Solution has been fixed, no need to reply to this topic anymore.
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:30 PM

How did you fix it, I have that problem too! Please help. Wireless connection is so slow that it takes so long to load a page. But wired comp is so fast.