Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 18th, 2020, 10:31 PM

Enabling analog output on sound card

I have a Realtek AL C883 sound card on my PC running win 7. I have also downloaded and installed Realtek HD Audio Manager. However I do not see how to get the anolog output of the sound card. I seem to be able to only see the digital output of the sound card. In the GUI I can click on each speaker and get an audible response from each, but when I try to play an audio file I get nothing. When I uninstall the Audio Manager I can use my sound card normally, but I can not use my subwoofer or surround speakers as I get no output from those jacks only the "line out". Maybe I have the wrong driver? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I seem to have analog output on the sound card in a Linux distro, but not windows.
Thanx so much
Jim
I know I have been posting a lot of queries lately, but I'm going stir crazy in my condo with this whole Covid-19 quarantine. So I have been playing around with my PC.

Last edited by jmnew; April 19th, 2020 at 03:04 AM.
Old April 19th, 2020, 05:04 PM

Ummm, if you are using Green, Orange, Black and or Gray RCA connectors of your card, those are analog. Blue is for analog Line in and Pink is analog Mic in.

So what are you using? What are your speakers and what type inputs do they accept?

Remember, our ears can only hear analog. So all computer based audio MUST be (at some point) converted to analog. When it comes to sound files used by computers, they must be converted from digital to analog and this is usually done at the card. However, some computer speakers accept digital input and then the electronics in the speaker (typically within the sub along with the amplifiers) will then convert it to analog and send those signals out to each speaker.
Old April 19th, 2020, 07:41 PM

The speakers are regular PC speakers. The same ones I have been using for awhile now. This problem just started occurring when I installed Realtek HD Audio Manager. That was the only way to get my subwoofer to work. When I click on a speaker in the GUI it responds. But when I try to play an audio file I get no response except when I plug the speaker into the Line Out port. That is why I think I may have the wrong version of Realtek HD Audio Manage. The only time I can play an audio file is when the speaker is plugged into the Line Out port on the sound card. BTW this is an onboard sound card. I recently purchased a new sound card and I have no problems with that one. It is however a cheap sound card and would like to use the old one if possible. It is of much better quality. Also with the onboard sound card when I plug the the speakers into the Line Out port only one speaker works. This problem is driving me nuts.
Thanx so much
Jim

Last edited by jmnew; April 19th, 2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old April 20th, 2020, 04:17 PM

I am afraid I have little to offer. I have not used W7 in years now. Plus it seems like you have more than one problem compounding and complicating the issue.

If me, I would uninstall the Audio Manager and get my speakers going with the old integrated card. This would also verify your speakers are working properly, as well as the cables and Windows itself. You might have to go back to a previous System Restore point.

Beyond that, there is this. I realize it is for W10, but hopefully some of the suggestions will work with W7. Sadly, with support for W7 long gone, finding W7 solutions is much more difficult. Perhaps it is time to upgrade to W10.
Old April 20th, 2020, 09:07 PM

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnew View Post
Jim
I know I have been posting a lot of queries lately, but I'm going stir crazy in my condo with this whole Covid-19 quarantine. So I have been playing around with my PC.
You and I both Jim. The purpose of this forum is to ask the sort of Questions that you ask so go hard out.
Old April 21st, 2020, 03:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
The purpose of this forum is to ask the sort of Questions that you ask so go hard out.
This forum also asks that members also take some time in doing their own research, before asking here.
Old April 21st, 2020, 07:58 PM

Yeah lufbra I did a LOT of research before posting here.
Kind regards
Jim
Old April 21st, 2020, 08:00 PM

Also Digerati, a lot of my drivers do not work with Win 10.
Jim
Old April 22nd, 2020, 04:18 PM

Yeah, that definitely a problem with hardware designed for an OS that is over 10 years old and no longer supported. If the hardware maker refuses to expend the resources to develop and release updated drivers, there is little we can do, but buy more current hardware.