Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 14th, 2002, 11:08 PM

Question Error deleting files: Access denied

Hello.
Yesterday I was trying to "clean up" my computer files and folders and started deleting a bunch of junk (no .exe files or system files)...just old web site junk like graphics.
When I was about 3/4 of the way done, it all of the sudden started telling me this error message when I tried to delete any file that was a graphic (html and txt files, etc delete fine):
"Error Deleting File
Cannot delete file "filename": Access is denied
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use"

I know that it is not in use! Oh yeah, it also doesnt display the graphic when you try and open the file using windows, but it displays the files fine in a graphic software program.
When I check their "properties" they are all archived, which I have no idea what that means, but if that could help anyone, please tell me what the heck is wrong with my "puter"!!!
Thanks
Old September 14th, 2002, 11:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista
Try Checking for Viruses
Old September 15th, 2002, 07:52 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi SuzieCabloozi - welcome to CTH. Scanning for viruses is always a good idea. However if you have done that and are clear and the graphic files will not open when you doubleclick on them in Windows Explorer, it sounds as though they are no longer associated with a graphics program that recognises the file type.

Open My Computer and click on the View menu. Click on Options and then click on the File Types tab. In Registered File Types, scroll down until you find either Image (I'm working in Win95 at the moment) and/or the file type you cannot open (jpg, gif etc). When you select the file type, it will tell you what program opens the file. If it is not your preferred graphics program, click on Edit and select Open then click on Edit again. Now click on Browse and look for the executable for the program you want to open the file. For Example, I want PaintShop Pro to open my jpg etc files so in the "Look In" box at the top, I browse to C:\Program Files\Paint Shop Pro and double click on the Paint Shop Pro folder. I can now see Psp.exe so I click on that and then click Open then OK and OK again. When I double click on the file in Windows Explorer now, Paint Shop Pro will automatically open the file.

Once you have reassociated the files, you should be able to delete them without any problem.
Old September 15th, 2002, 11:19 PM

Thanks so much Ann Marie. You have solved the problem. I also checked for viruses (before even posting the first post in here) but everything there is fine. I don't know how I screwed the associations up, but now all is running fine. Thanks bunches.
Old September 15th, 2002, 11:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

Good news SuzieCabloozi. Thank you for posting back
Old September 23rd, 2002, 02:57 PM

error deleting file

Hi. I followed what you said to SuzieCabloozi about the file associations, however my file (.png) still doesn't delete.
It was by the way already associated with Internet Explorer, but didn't work so I changed it to Opera. I was able to view it in Opera, but still I cannot delete the file still.
Please help
Old September 24th, 2002, 04:34 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi petertwelves12 - have you tried booting into Safe Mode and deleting the file from there?