Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:38 AM

b.exe, c.exe, d.exe the whole alphabet!

Have used you a long time ago to a successful conclusion and wondered if you could help me again.

I had b.exe running in Task Manager, so ended that program. Went to Desktop, right clicked, all icons dissappeared leaving just wallpaper. Started up in Safe Mode but could only use Safe Mode with command prompt, so in DOS searched and deleted a, b, c, d .exe. Also noticed MSA.exe which I deleted. Deleted temp files under users.

Ran V Cleaner via DOS which found nothing.

Then logged back on as normal and realised I could access stuff through Task Manager (doh) so ran AVG which found and quarantined 4 files. Copied win32kdiag.exe onto CD and ran that through DOS then d: drive is now inaccessible but have that log if it is of any use to you.

So, in brief, have no icons on desktop, d: drive has stopped working, in Task Manager cna access certain items, not sure how to access others.

Please help, because if my husband suggests I turn it off and on I might be up for murder too!!

Thank you very much, Claire
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:36 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Welcome to CTH claireneedshelp,

Turn the computer off and then on..... (joking - just had to, given the wording).

A problem is that when you kill these various files that are running, you may also kill the legit function they have been associated with, so lose that access.

Before we try some scan steps, in Task Manager go to File - New Task (Run). This is the same as the Start - Run option, and can be used to run commands. Some preset commands:

explorer - opens the desktop if not running, or the file system Explorer if it already is.
iexplore - Internet Explorer

And if something is located on the desktop, the command would be:

%userprofile%\desktop\filename.exe

Or similar command use.

---------------

Although I am very hesitant to recommend such a repair scan with having no info here to work from, go ahead and download ComboFix.exe from here. Burn that to a CD and then copy it to your C drive folder.

Then run ComboFix.exe using the Task Manager - New Task:

C:\ComboFix.exe

Be sure to install the Recovery Console if you are asked to do so. When the scan completes, a text window with your log will open. Please copy and paste that log back here.

A caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.

Allow the scan to run. When completed a text window will appear - please copy/paste the contents back here. This log can also be found at C:\ComboFix.txt.
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM

thanks for replying.

I have got the cd drive working again, no idea how it just decided to, and have copied across Combofix. However, Combofix asks me to deactivate AVG anti virus scanner. Now, I have obviously lost my brain along with the computer, and cannot figure how to do this. I click on end process under task manager and end up with three avg.exe up there. Can't do it under control panel because it says I do not have access to C:\windows\control panel, or anything else here. Can't even see anywhere to stop AVG on AVG itself. My brain hurts.

Also, I have attempted to see if I could access the web, I use a netgear wireless dongle which has been physically removed since the virus hit, and I can but if I type in cybertech help for instance, I went to e-bay, and other assorted various sites. Don't know if this is informative or not. Also came up with various "virus protection" sites that suggested I downloaded stuff. Dongle now removed again!

Do you think its going to be possible to fix this, or should I throw in the towel and take it to a PC shop :-( ?

Wait for your reply. Thank you.
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM

Thanks for looking at this, but due to time constraints, suddenly I need it fixed now as my son has decided to do his homework on his and I can't get on it any more!!! I have dropped it off at my local computer geek shop. No doubt I will be back here soon asking for help to fix the problems he has created, lets hope not.

Once again, thanks for your help, much appeciated.

Claire
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:57 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

If any friends or others have spoken well about that shop that is always a good sign they will do the repairs the right way. I appreciate you taking the time to post back the update.