Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:27 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
I have server questions, lots of server questions!

First time setting up a Domain.

1.) I registered a domain name currently parked at godaddy. Should I name the first domain controler in my domain the same name as my registered "domain.com" name or should I name it "domain.local" or something like that?

2.) When giving a domain controler a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) is it supposed to include the host name or does it pick that up from the computer (or NetBios) name?

3.) The first domain controler will have a static IP and will be the only system directly connected to the internet. I plan to set up DHCP for my lan in the range of 192.168.0.xxx. Any other node connected to it would need to have the domain controllers static IP set as their default gateway to access the internet, right?

We'll just start with these, I have lots more!

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by Smoothie; November 3rd, 2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: idle Title
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:40 PM

1. It really doesn't matter what you call your DC. Just name it something that makes it easily recognized. "Primary" etc...

2. If you will be using FQDN's I believe you would need it to be "primary.domain.com." Notice the period at the end.

3. No, if the DC is providing DHCP then the other nodes will get the correct settings from it. You don't have to manually assign anything to the nodes.

P.S. I'm assuming your DC be running DNS as well? If so, you need to set up forwarders in the administrative settings of DNS. All nodes will point to the DC's IP address for DNS, as will the server itself, but will be forwarded to whatever external DNS servers you point it to.