Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:26 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
It's very easy to update Java by yourself.
Go to Control Panel where you will see an icon that says Java (32 bit), click it. The Java Control Panel will open, click Update tab, then at the bottom right corner Update Now. If it needs updating it will tell you, and all you have to do is follow the prompts.
I don't see any reason why you need the updater running every time you Startup the computer.
I've never seen Windows Operating System in MSConfig startup before, and that's why I asked if you were using a sidebar. If it were me I would uncheck it in Startup, but with all the problems you've had with that Installer popup I would check with Murf before you uncheck it.
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:26 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Yes it is very bizarre. And why it started happening in the first instance.

I've read the link, for the 32 bit system it's doing these 2 in the cmd prompt and that's it by the looks of it:

msiexec /unregister
msiexec /regserver

Unfortunately still the same .
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
It's very easy to update Java by yourself.
Go to Control Panel where you will see an icon that says Java (32 bit), click it. The Java Control Panel will open, click Update tab, then at the bottom right corner Update Now. If it needs updating it will tell you, and all you have to do is follow the prompts.
I don't see any reason why you need the updater running every time you Startup the computer.
I've never seen Windows Operating System in MSConfig startup before, and that's why I asked if you were using a sidebar. If it were me I would uncheck it in Startup, but with all the problems you've had with that Installer popup I would check with Murf before you uncheck it.
Okay thanks IPR512.

I'll see what the guys say whether to remove that from the start up or not?

I know how to update Java from the control panel, but it would be more consistent for me if I was reminded to update it, if I turn this off there is a good chance I will not be thinking about checking it at relevant intervals to see if its up to date.
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:34 PM

Refresh my memory, didn't you reinstall Windows after trying everything else, but you still have that popup?
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:37 PM

I understand JIO22. Just trying to narrow down where that popup can be coming from.
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Refresh my memory, didn't you reinstall Windows after trying everything else, but you still have that popup?

I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista at the start of this year. The popup installer box was present on Vista too, and now still here.

I have only done the upgrade and installation of windows 7 but no reinstalls.
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I understand JIO22. Just trying to narrow down where that popup can be coming from.
No probs. Thanks.
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:44 PM

It's really hard to figure out a solution for a problem that is so old. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:23 PM

Yes very much so.
It never used to be here but it has been some time now. If I recall correctly it seemed to appear on the back of some other problems we fixed here. I've tried to pin point when but I'm unable to.

If it can't be solved then I'll live with it, I guess it's not doing any harm to anything just more annoying than anything else.
Old November 6th, 2017, 01:54 AM

It’s annoying, because it seems like there should be a simple answer to why it’s happening.
It’s as though something keeps on wanting to be installed. Do you have any idea how long the Windows operating system startup entry has been in msconfig?
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Do you have any idea how long the Windows operating system startup entry has been in msconfig?
No I don't, sorry.

If Murf or smurfy think I should removed from start up then I will, what do you think guys?

"Windows operating system" to me sounds quite a integral part of the of the system and I wouldn't think to disable it, but I really do not know if it is needed or not either.

Last edited by JIO22; November 6th, 2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
I've been reading through your malware logs to see if I can ID it but need a bit more info.

It's in Program Files so I doubt it is genuinely O/S related. It could be SQL Server.

I'll need to know the full name and path to the executable (expand the columns in MSCONFIG).
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:39 PM

Okay thanks smurfy, it's a lot to look through and I'm sorry I can't help locate when. But I'm certain it appeared after some problems we had, which Jintan then helped me solve.

Is this what you needed to see, the startup tab in msconfig?
Unfortunately I cannot get msconfig any bigger so had to 3 separate shots of each column.

Last edited by JIO22; November 6th, 2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added pic as missed on copy.
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:15 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
OK, that is definitely safe to disable but I doubt it will have any positive impact on your installer pop-up problem.
It is Windows Media Player network discovery & configuration tool - if you regularly add WMP shared devices on your network, it is useful, otherwise it is useless.

I'm still looking through your old logs to see if I can spot anything.

Do you still have/use Microsoft Project and Visio (2007)? It may be worth doing repairs on those too.
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:32 PM

Okay I have disabled Windows operating system in the start up tab. It's not something that I use (now you have described what it is), so this should be fine for me.

Thanks for looking at my old logs, and taking the time to help here. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Do you still have/use Microsoft Project and Visio (2007)? It may be worth doing repairs on those too.
These were on here up until a few days ago, when I uninstalled Office, I uninstalled all of project and visio - I never used it anyway. So these are gone. Then just installed Microsoft Office 2010.